Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Alternatives to Retrospect

Alternatives to Retrospect
ilesh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2000, 07:42 AM

Does anybody know of any alternative backup programs to Retrospect? Retrospect seems to crash my computer each night when the backup starts. I've tried various things including reinstalling without any success.

BlackMac
Jun 16, 2000, 10:06 AM

Heya,

Personally, I use SimpleBackup and though you have to fire it up, it works fast and is easy to use; Versiontracker should have a copy somewhere. And if you've good with AppleScript, you can have it work automatically; add to this the fact that it works by you placing aliases of folders, drives or files inside the SimpleBackup folder and it's easy to change what you want backed up.

I've used it for years (the better part to 5 years) and find it to work seamlessly, fast and without some of the problems associated with other backup programmes that compress or segment your backup in ways you might not be able to use if things go wrong.

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2000, 10:40 AM

I use SimpleBackup. It's the cheapest network backup solution I've ever used. Use it in conjunction with T-Minus Ten (get both at VersionTracker) and you can schedule it.

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

[This message has been edited by Simon Kornblith (edited 06-18-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules