Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Yahoo Messenger

Yahoo Messenger
mg7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 09:01 AM

I work with an iBook with Mac OS 9.2.1. I've been using Yahoo Messenger 2.5.2 for some time - out of necessity: it's pretty pathetic. Downloaded the new v2.5.3 a few days ago. It installed and opened fine once and then crashed every time I tried to open it again. I trashed the prefs - no help. I reinstalled v2.5.2 - it quits every time I start it up. Any suggestions? Advice needed urgently!

MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 09:30 AM

Download Fire or Proteus (check Macupdate.com). They are multi-service messenger appleications and can connect to Yahoo Messenger.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2003, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by MojoRising022:
Download Fire or Proteus (check Macupdate.com). They are multi-service messenger appleications and can connect to Yahoo Messenger.
Yes, but they have difficulties running on OS 9.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 10:37 AM

Good call...i missed the 9.2.1 thing.

DigiRob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 10:16 PM

Please check out the .mac forum linked below. A lot of us are having the same problem. And Fire or Proteus programs are also not working according to MacNN today.

Does anyone have the real skinny on this problem??

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2003, 11:48 PM

i use yahoo messenger (in 10.2.8) ONLY to notify me when i get email (at, duh, yahoo).

hacked it in os9 to play custom music (jimi hendrix or my own music) when i get mail.

the newest version works great for this; faster, hasnt lost it's connection once (the previous version lost connection 10x a day...)

less fussy interface as well!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

mg7  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by DigiRob:
Please check out the .mac forum linked below. A lot of us are having the same problem. And Fire or Proteus programs are also not working according to MacNN today.

Aha! Thanks DR. It's back up finally. Yahoo ('we put the mess into') Messenger. What a ghastly hack: I'm using it to talk to someone 3 times a week in an internet cafe in India and you can feel your stomach getting instantly upsetter as each conversation progresses. What we need is a 'Google Messenger.'

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2003, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by DigiRob:

wow the people that have posted on there seem so hopelessly addicted to yahoo messenger.
and i can't believe this... despite the amount of people using this sh|tty messenger, yahoo won't do half a decent job to get one on par with the windows version?? pathetic.

proton
Senior User
Sep 27, 2003, 08:20 AM

I just posted this over at the Proteus forums
Thread at Proteus Forums

OK.

The problem with Yahoo messenger is quite simply that Yahoo changed their protocol in a more substantial way than people thought they were going to. The way that the client responds to the login request (the various encryption techniques it uses) have been significantly changed from the old version.

Currently NO third party clients support the new Yahoo protocol. The people working on libyahoo2 (the library that all the open source clients use) are still trying to figure out the new authentication method. Once that is figured out, then the library can be updated, and Proteus can be updated to use the new library.

Until the new authentication protocol is deciphered, there is nothing that anyone can do about Proteus' support for Yahoo, and people will have to use the official Yahoo client.

- proton

Forum Links
Forum Rules