Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is Your New 15" AL Mouse Button Too Stiff?

Is Your New 15" AL Mouse Button Too Stiff?
mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 12:51 PM

I'n comparison with my Dual USB iBook (AppleCare replaced 2 month old track-pad and mouse button) my new 15"AL Mouse Button is crummy ... apologies for the technical terminology.

- It takes much more effort to depress the button than it does a keyboard key. Likewise, the PB requires much more pressure than my iBook.

- Equally, the pressure required at the front of the button (closest to the keyboard) is much higher than at the back ... the back of the button is also far too stiff.

- Holding the mouse button while pulling down a menu also requires undue effort.

- Finally, tapping the button on either side causes it to "rattle" or "knock."

Anybody else with this? It doesn't seem likely that I got the only stiff spring.

'Sure is nice keyboard, though ... especially compared to the iBook ... I guess you can't have both, a good clicker and a good keyboard!
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 12:55 PM

Too stiff is going to subjective to each person. Mine requires more pressure than a key but is not too stiff to me. Seems like a little more pressure than on the 17". Both the 15" and the 17" have this side to side rattle, but in 5 months this hasn't been a probably on the 17" I have.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2003, 02:16 PM

I was surprised by the stiffness of the button, but this is my first PB (in fact first Mac laptop), so I can't compare to other models. I've had it about 5 days and the button doesn't bother me anymore, so I guess for me it's not a problem. I can see where it might be annoying (all the symptoms you report are present on mine as well) if you were used to something better though. It's always sad to "upgrade" and find out that some little detail has gotten worse.

omegahack
Sep 27, 2003, 02:30 PM

i thought that it was perfect the whole time that i have had it.... 3 days

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 02:46 PM

PB buttons are stiffer than ibook buttons. I have a ibook and 15" Ti and can tell a huge difference. Not that it's bad, it's just what your used to.
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

mainemanx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 05:52 PM

Rule 1. Always use the back (latch) side of the button.

Rule 2. Always follow Rule 1.
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

Forum Links
Forum Rules