Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Education (Discount) products? Can I sell it?

Education (Discount) products? Can I sell it?
AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Sep 28, 2003, 12:38 PM

This is just a general question regarding all MacOSX hardware and software.

What if I buy a new G5 and monitor as a student and immediately turn around and sell it to someone else for cost, can I legally sell it to them to use for their personal use?

What about buying software as a student, graduating and using that software in my own business?

Please help. (I need an answer quick)

p.s.- I did read everything I could about the issue on Apple's website.
( Last edited by AU_student_iceBook; Sep 28, 2003 at 12:43 PM. )

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Location: Frozen storage at Area 51, wrapped in pigskin. My damned soul is never getting out of the Great Satan.
Sep 28, 2003, 12:59 PM

you probably didn't need to post this in more than one section.

did you try reading the legal fine print at the edu store?

you are only allowed a max number of edu purchases in a narrow time frame. This sounds like apple's way of ensuring that students and teachers don't abuse their discounts.

Linfidels harken! 'The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.'

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2003, 01:08 PM

From the Apple education store:

"I agree that I am a member of one of the defined groups above eligible to purchase and that the products being purchased direct from Apple Computer, Inc. are for my own personal, education, and/or research use."

So if your definition of "my own personal use" means buying for someone else's personal use, then by all means go ahead.

Of course, this doesn't mean you are stuck with one machine for life. You can use the machine for a reasonable period and then sell it, of course. That's why they limit your purchases to one computer per year.

And I would say the software is yours forever.

Chris

infiniti
Sep 28, 2003, 02:04 PM

Actually, most edu software license agreements limit the software to non-commercial use.

While this is essentially enforced by the "honor system", I don't think it's too much for these compannies to ask that you buy a full version of their software for commercial purposes, given that you are making money from its use. It also allows all commercial users (especially the small ones) to compete fairly.

Just my 2�.

Steve
12" iBook 900

Forum Links
Forum Rules