Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The $400 Question!!

The $400 Question!!
PJ G4
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2003, 04:32 PM

I am about to purchase my first Powerbook.
I previously owned a Quicksilver 800 and 17" Studio Display. I can not decide between the 15" Al Superdrive and the 17" laptops. I live in Mexico and we do not have either laptop yet.
Can you help me decide. I will be using the laptop for digital photography, audio, MP3 downloads, and database. I will not be playing any video games but may watch an occasional DVD movie. The processors are very similar, the RAM, video card, and hard drive are the same. The size and weight are not a concern as I will use the laptop as a desktop replacement. I am most interested in the resolution of the screen not the size of the screen as I will seldom have a lot of programs open at once. Looking at these forums I have noticed several problem areas with each computer such as the latch, and the LCD white spots. Based on value, screen resolution, reliability, and resale value, which will be the better choice. Thanks

beijinger
Oct 6, 2003, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by PJ G4:
I am about to purchase my first Powerbook.

Based on value, screen resolution, reliability, and resale value, which will be the better choice. Thanks
No known color, latch or pixel issues with the 17 inch. 30% more battery life on the 17 inch. i would have gotten it had it not been the fact that i am on the road more than home or office, hence took the 15 inch instead. my partner who stays in the office all day, is using the 17 inch and loves it.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 10:49 AM

In have the exact same problem. I'm updating my PB just before Christmas from my old TiPB 400 pal to a new AlPB and I can not choose between the 17" and the 15".

Somehow, I feel that the 17" is for very hardcore graphic professionals, while I'm just a graduate student that uses Photoshop and Illustrator from time to time.

It is a tough call.

Let me know you final decission

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 11:20 AM

I'd look less at resale value and more on what fits your needs the best.
Once they are in your area take a look at them both, make sure the design is comfortable i.e., typing, and the screens are readable. If you can swing the 17" then go for that. I have the 15" and the screen is awesome, and no latch problems.

Good Luck
Mike

nagromme
Senior User
Oct 7, 2003, 02:57 PM

I'm considering all FOUR PowerBooks now and canNOT make up my mind! I want the best power and screen... yet even a little size difference affects portability. And I could use any money I save in other ways.

Having said that, the 17" is only $300 more--not $400. I say that because the 17" has all 512MB in one slot, leaving one free--and you do want more RAM (from TransIntl.com or eshop.macsales.com maybe--Apple overcharges for RAM). With the 15, both slots are full (256 each) and you must BTO for $100 to get that 512 in one slot.

And size-wise, the 17" adds only .85" to each side, and just .35" to front and back. Very noticeable, but not massive. Plus I like how thin it is. 10% thinner than the 15".

Look at them in person and decide that way if you can.

For me, I think the 1.25 is the least tempting model. May as well go for the 17 for not much more money. Likewise, the 1 Ghz 15" with the fast GPU is just $381 more than the 12" (once you add the $19 TV adapter to the 12"). May as well go for the 15" unless weight is a big issue.

So I THINK it's between the 1GHz 15" (cheap) or 1.33 17" (fancy) options for me.
nagromme

PJ G4  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the replies to my post. Your responses have been very helpful. Based on the battery life, and the open RAM slot I think I will go for the 17" One last question. How do the screens compare in terms of brightness and sharpness. Since I will be using the laptop for digital photography this is an important feature. Also how does the image of the 17" laptop compare to the 17" Studio Display. Thanks

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 04:11 PM

I am going for the 17" and i will be using Photoshop and Indesign...i saw a 17" iMac for the first time today and i made up my mind after about 3 weeks of dithering. Since they both have the same screen i was totally impressed with it.

Also you DO have to look at the resale value of these machines. I'm hoping to keep mine for 4-5 years at least before i next upgrade.

However i looked at the 17" and thought there is more room inside it for expansion over the 15". It might be easier to fit a newer faster HD or optical drive later in the future and plus the screen is an added bonus which will not date as quickly as the others. I'm also thinking that i don't want to purchase another flatscreen in the future so i'm saving myself the hassle now by buying the 17". With the 12 or 15 i might have to buy another monitor and i don't want to do that.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 04:44 PM

No matter what you're using it for, I suggest the 17". Fits perfectly on the lap, no need to hold your legs together without it becoming unstable.

I would stay on the ends instead of the middle. 12" if taking it everywhere with you, 17" for anything else.

nagromme
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 02:26 AM

I too am curious about screen brightness. What I've gathered is that people seem to think the 15" is brightest, the 12" dimmest, and the 17" in the middle--but still very good.

The 17" does use the same display as the 17" iMac... BUT it uses a DIFFERENT (thinner) backlight. So brightness won't compare. Don't expect a laptop LCD to be as bright as a high-end desktop LCD.
nagromme

HouseSold
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 02:54 AM

It's true..

I have the 17"1.33 and an iMac flat panel. While the 17" Powerbook display is really great, the iMac is better and the viewing angles are different. The iMac is definitely brighter, but it isn't battery powered portable either. I love them both. My family usually knows where to find me at home...in front of one or the other.

I love sitting on a beanbag in the dark surfin' using the illuminated keyboard and the display at lowest setting before dark(off). i really think it might make it to 4 hours at this setting just surfin'

Forum Links
Forum Rules