Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to use image files?

How to use image files?
jeronimo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2000, 08:18 PM

What I supposed to do with image files? Burn them to CDs (how?)? Can I use them without burning a CD?

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Cipher13
Dec 15, 2000, 02:29 AM

You can mount and use them from the HD, or burn them to CD, or whatever you like...
I suggest if burning them, mount them first and use the image that mounted, and use Disc Copy mode...

Cipher13

jeronimo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2000, 04:18 PM

What you mean "mount"? The image files are those ones that we donwload and the when we just drag it to the HD and it's done?

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

marka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2000, 06:23 PM

If you are using disk image files created with Apple's Disk Copy application, the disk image will mount when you double-click on the disk image file.

You will be able to access the contents of the disk image as a separate volume. If the disk image was created as read/write, you will be able to make and save changes to the volume, such as adding or removing files.

If the disk image does not show up on the deskop as a mounted volume when you double-click on it, then either you do not have a recent copy of Apple's Disk Copy application, or the disk image was created with another disk image utility such as Adaptec Toast or ShrinkWrap.

To access Toast volumes I think you need Toast. ShrinkWrap volumes don't require another application, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Once the volume is mounted you can burn it to a CD as you would any other volume.

One thing I do is to burn several disk images to a CD to save space. Then I can mount them later from the CD as individual volumes. (Note: I burn them all at the same time; this is different than creating a multisession CD.)

Hope this helps you.

[This message has been edited by marka (edited 12-15-2000).]

Cipher13
Dec 15, 2000, 09:42 PM

You need ShrinkWrap to open several kinds of image file that Disc Copy, for whatever reason, won't open.
If you are having problems mounting a downloaded image or whatever, install ShrinkWrap and try that.
If that doesn't mount it, you may as well delete the image.

Cipher13

jeronimo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2000, 05:08 AM

I got it! When I downloaded a image file it shows like a "ZIP" disk for example (that's it?). So I just drag the file from the volume into the HD and it's done! Thanx 4 ur help!

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

Forum Links
Forum Rules