Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12-inch PB not connecting wirelessly

12-inch PB not connecting wirelessly
rgl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 08:20 AM

Hi all,

I have a Netgear MR814 wireless router (802.11b) working fine as an access point for my Airport card iMac -- and my neighbor's Airport card iBook can connect -- but my 12-inch PB with an Apple Extreme card won't connect. It recognizes the network but I get an error message when I try to connect ("There was an error joining the selected Airport Network"). As far as I know, the PB is set up the same way as my iMac and neighbor's iBook. One thing I've noticed is that -- in Internet Connect -- the PB shows status as "computer to computer" and no Base Station ID #, whereas the iMac and iBook show "status not available" and do show a Base Station ID #.

Any ideas? The fact that the PB has a "g" card and the router is "b" shouldn't have anything to do with it, right?
1 ghz 12-inch PowerBook, 512 MB
RAM, Combo Drive

sailor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 11:58 AM

I have the same router/AP as you and am having no problems with my PB12 connecting with the AP....if you installed the Extreme card yourself, I suggest you check to be sure it is properly fitted and that the antenna connection is complete (as I recall, it took me a couple of attempts to get it right)...other than this, if the sys prefs are set up the same as on your other machines (Network port set to Airport), it SHOULD work.Also, you might search these posts for AE card installation problems...there have been many threads.

good luck.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2003, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by rgl:
Any ideas? The fact that the PB has a "g" card and the router is "b" shouldn't have anything to do with it, right?
Correct!

First, try downloading and installing the latest firmware for this router.

Also, try a word search on Apple's Airport Extreme Support Boards using "Netgear MR814" for more info.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2003, 12:53 PM

Disable WEP and MAC address filtering, if you've got them enabled (for security's sake, these really should be enabled.) Can you connect at that point? Check your network settings.

rgl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by Kenstee:
Correct!

First, try downloading and installing the latest firmware for this router.

Also, try a word search on Apple's Airport Extreme Support Boards using "Netgear MR814" for more info.
Hey all,

Before seeing your posts, I found out that I needed to download the latest firmware for the router and that did the trick. Funny thing is, it was an Apple tech support guy -- not Netgear's -- who figured out that's what I needed to do!

Thanks for your replies, even though it turned out I didn't need them.
1 ghz 12-inch PowerBook, 512 MB
RAM, Combo Drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules