Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > DVD+r with panther on the new powerbooks?

DVD+r with panther on the new powerbooks?
dennis88
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2003, 03:20 PM

Does the superdrive in the new 15" powerbook support dvd+r when you install panther, like the G5's do?

Thanks!

dennis88  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by dennis88:
Does the superdrive in the new 15" powerbook support dvd+r when you install panther, like the G5's do?

Thanks!
No one knows?

Sean Li
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2003, 05:35 PM

On my system, a DVD+R that wasn't readable with 10.2.8 is now readable with 10.3, although the DVD player application doesn't support it but VLC does.

The Apple DVD player opens, and show a black screen, but it doesn't work when I press play.

nagromme
Senior User
Oct 15, 2003, 06:25 PM

Depends what you mean by support. Do the new PBook drives support +r/+RW writing in the hardware? I believe not, but would like confirmation.

But for READING, I expect it should work in Panther.
nagromme

johnpg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2003, 07:19 PM

Sean, are you saying that your new Powerbook WAS able to read a DVD+R disc? If so then that's fantastic. Can someone with access to a DVD+R or +RW disc try and write to it in Panther?

John

Tariq-1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2003, 07:53 PM

I tried some +R Discs in my new 12' SuperDrive under both Toast 5 and 6 using 10.2.7. No Go. with Toast, it would have worked if the drive supported it Panther or no Panther. I actually came accross the specs of our SuperDrives and they don't support an + formats at all in the hardware but do support -RW.

Tariq
Originally posted by johnpg:
Sean, are you saying that your new Powerbook WAS able to read a DVD+R disc? If so then that's fantastic. Can someone with access to a DVD+R or +RW disc try and write to it in Panther?

John

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Oct 15, 2003, 08:24 PM

The Superdrives in the PowerBooks do specifically support DVD+ at the hardware level - however the firmware has been modified to disable it.

Tariq-1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2003, 09:12 PM

Not According to this page:
http://superdrive.cynikal.net/
Look towards the bottom and you will see hardware supported.

Tariq

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
The Superdrives in the PowerBooks do specifically support DVD+ at the hardware level - however the firmware has been modified to disable it.

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2003, 01:01 AM

Can someone please explain to me what the + means?

dennis88  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 01:25 AM

Yeah but apple said that in panther, the + won't be disabled anymore on superdrive's who support it in hardware.

EvanV
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by Fellow2000:
Can someone please explain to me what the + means?
DVD-R and DVD-RW were the first to come out in the DVD burning era. They are most recognized by DVD players.

DVD+R and DVD+RW came after that. It offers a bit more quality and support, but they are not recognized by some DVD Players.

You can now buy a DVD+-R/RW now....

There is also DVD RAM burners, but I don't know anything about them.

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2003, 12:22 AM

Story posted on Oct. 13th...
http://www.macnn.com/news/21540

Sean Li
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2003, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by johnpg:

John
Correct - with 10.3 it's able to read the DVD+R, but the Apple DVD Player probably needs another update before you can use it to playback a DVD+R.

With 10.2.8, I would get a disc not recognized error. And it's exactly the same disc, the only change being the installation of 10.3.

WaTTz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 12:10 PM

I installed Panther build 7B75 on my Albook 12" 1GHz combo and it does read DVD+R discs! Apple DVD player even played a DVD+R backuped movie flawlessly. However, it won't read Memorex DVD-R's or possibly any other DVD-R brands. It just pops in and sits there undetected and unnoticed. Maybe I should have ordered the Superdrive option to read all DVD�R types. It just sucks that I am limited this way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules