Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Two iTunes One iPod

Two iTunes One iPod
kerrazyjoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 11:54 AM

What is my best strategy to have tracks from multiple iTunes available on one iPod?

My configuration is one iMac with multiple users, one ITMS account, and iTunes Library for each user and one iPod. DRM allows tracks to be purchased at ITMS and played on three Macs. Many users on the one iMac purchase tracks using one ITMS account. All tracks CAN be played on the one iMac! iTunes is configured to manage the Library so that tracks added to iTunes are added to User Library. One track enjoyed by all users is dragged to 'Shared' then each user drags to iTunes - so copies are made in each Library - OK.

Some tracks are not enjoyed by all.

UserA track1, track2
UserB track1, track3

Desire: iPod - track1 track2 track3
"in the middle of the nite"
Joe

mishap
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by kerrazyjoe:
What is my best strategy to have tracks from multiple iTunes available on one iPod?

hmm...dunno if i got all of that but, you could just set the option "Manually manage songs and playlists" on your iPod. Then you could mount the iPod on any iTunes music library to drag songs/playlists directly to your ipod. Of course you would lose all syncing capabilities. I'm not sure if this what you were asking..

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 12:36 PM

The iPod is able to play purchased music from two iTunes accounts, based from two different computers. Just select "Manage my own playlists" like the previous post suggested. As long as the computer you use is authorized on the account at the time you put the song on the iPod, the iPod ought to be able to play it.

I know this isn't quite what you had in mind, but this may make things easier than having everyone buy music on one computer and one account.

My wife and I both have separate iTunes accounts on our separate Macs, and have put our purchased music on the iPod in this manner.

Oddly enough, this doesn't seem to work the same way for Audible audiobooks: we have two Audible accounts now as well, and although my books play without a hitch, she just recently signed up for a separate account and the iPod doesn't want to play her audiobooks. I'm not sure if that's a limitation of Audible, or if the iPod can only store three decryption keys, or what...

Forum Links
Forum Rules