Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther Expos� with drag & drop

Panther Expos� with drag & drop
moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 26, 2003, 04:05 PM

Someone noted this feature elsewhere in the forums (I looked, but can't find the thread), and I decided to make a video to explain it.

Panther's expos� feature allows you to drag files, text, images, etc. when windows are minimized or cleared off of the screen:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/news/upcom...xpose_drag.mov (1.9mb)
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 04:26 PM

Not looking for another opportunity to show off Snapz Pro are we?

I'm really glad you posted that as I wouldn't have been able to work it out otherwise

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 04:42 PM

Well, if I had Snapz Pro 2, I'd be making movies all day long, too

But yeah, nice movie. For newbies especially, I'm sure there are a bunch of people out there who haven't discovered the drag&drop of text selections, since it's still kinda hard. The initial lag is somehow wrong, IMHO.

J

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 26, 2003, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:
But yeah, nice movie. For newbies especially, I'm sure there are a bunch of people out there who haven't discovered the drag&drop of text selections, since it's still kinda hard. The initial lag is somehow wrong, IMHO.
I agree with you. It actually took me a few takes to get the video right, because I'd click to drag the text, but didn't wait long enough, so it de-selected it. :/

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 26, 2003, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
Not looking for another opportunity to show off Snapz Pro are we?
Nah; it's actually fun to make these videos, and I hope people find them useful. Expos� is my favorite OS X 10.3 feature (aside from the speed), so letting people know how to use it effectively is enjoyable.

I'm really glad you posted that as I wouldn't have been able to work it out otherwise
No worries.

stoneage
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by moki:
Someone noted this feature elsewhere in the forums (I looked, but can't find the thread), and I decided to make a video to explain it.

Panther's expos� feature allows you to drag files, text, images, etc. when windows are minimized or cleared off of the screen:

COOL!!! It took me a minute to figure out the lag...just hold for 2 seconds and then drop. Much slicker than copy/paste.
W....liar or idiot? Pick two.

Deestar
Oct 26, 2003, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by moki:

Yeah I think it was me. Its a pretty cool feature, I'm using it quite a bit, infact I donno how I lived without it.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=184571
Where there's a will
there's a way..

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2003, 06:12 PM

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 06:19 PM

When Jobs was showing off Expos� he showed it in slow motion....anyone know how he did it?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 26, 2003, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by Deestar:
Yeah I think it was me. Its a pretty cool feature, I'm using it quite a bit, infact I donno how I lived without it.
Ah yes, it was you -- I tried to find that thread, but didn't seem to manage -- I was searching for something with "Expos�" in the title.

Martiny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by stevesnj:
When Jobs was showing off Expos� he showed it in slow motion....anyone know how he did it?
Just hold down shift while you press F9, F10 or F11
"If you think programming is a small thing, that's why your programs are so large."
- Alan Kay

moki  (op)
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 26, 2003, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by stevesnj:
Just hold down the Shift key when doing it. Here's a video of it:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/news/upcom...ose_slowmo.mov (4.8mb)

tabarnak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by Deestar:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=184571
hey you liar! it was me!! look at the name: tabarnak! it's me!

someone mention another cool tip in that thread. you can even do command-n in textedit to create a new doc while draggin.

hey moki, i have an idea for the launch of Snapz Pro 2! team up with apple to give a liscence to the one who create the best panther video! when i show stuff like expos� to my pc friend, they all freak out! but apple never show stuff like that to general public, so why don't we do one!

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 09:24 PM

Instead of waiting for the window to spring open when you're draggin text/item onto it, hit the space bar (� la spring loaded folders). Works like a charm
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Oct 26, 2003, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by tabarnak:

someone mention another cool tip in that thread. you can even do command-n in textedit to create a new doc while draggin.

hey moki, i have an idea for the launch of Snapz Pro 2! team up with apple to give a liscence to the one who create the best panther video! when i show stuff like expos� to my pc friend, they all freak out! but apple never show stuff like that to general public, so why don't we do one!
Wouldn't you have a license to be making a video in the first place?

Perhaps a fat iTunes Music Store gift certificate, though I don't know how that would work internationally.

Deestar
Oct 27, 2003, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by tabarnak:

Yeah your right it was, sorry.

I completely misread your original post in that thread and basically explained the same thing in my own words. I was half asleep when I posted the reply. Sorry didn't mean to try and take the credit
Where there's a will
there's a way..

Forum Links
Forum Rules