Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther refuses to recognize my QPS CD-RW drive

Panther refuses to recognize my QPS CD-RW drive
Prijker
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 01:01 PM

Back in OSX 10.2.8, my 48x16x48 QPS FireWire CD-RW drive was recognized from the Finder, and i could burn a CD with Disk Copy (i don't own Toast).

But now, in Panther, the Finder no more detects any CD burner, and so does the new Disk Utility app.

Even though Apple System Profiler sees the FireWire CD drive, it is labelled with no writer capabilities, which means i can't burn from the Finder

The QPS mechanism is SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW 248B, so it seems Panther has lost support for this Samsung drive.

Is there any trick i can do to make Panther see my burner? Back in 10.2.8, there was a trick with editing one of the cdr plugin files in System/Library/frameworks/Diskrecording/Version/A/SamsungCDR.device-plugin, but i can't find it anymore in Panther.

Thanks

vic

weene27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 01:21 PM

Not to be silly....but dont QPS drives have an on/off toggle button in the rear? Make sure it is turned on...

Sometime profiler will see the drive only 'cuz of the inline power of the firewire.

Prijker  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 04:00 PM

Yeah, it's turned on... and it's always turned on B4 i try to burn a CD..

vic

ZackS
Banned
Oct 28, 2003, 04:09 PM

Try to adapt the Jaguar hack to this plist version you need to do for Panther

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/OSX/panth....html#storytop

Prijker  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the tip, Zacks, but it won't work for me

I first edited the file
System/Library/Frameworks/DiscRecording.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/DiscRecordingEngine.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DeviceSupport.drprofile

Then i did a search for Samsung, found it, and changed the current model with my model: CD-R/RW SW 248B

Then i edited <key>DRDeviceAlternateVendorNames</key>
<string>XXX</string> changing XXX to samsung

and

<key>DRDeviceOverrideCanWriteCDSAO</key> from <false/>
to <true/>

Restarted, but Finder still refuses to see any burner

Vic

ZackS
Banned
Oct 28, 2003, 05:57 PM

Damn: I just saw this:

"...sorry I missed the excellent June post (this article below). It was correct for the then-current Panther builds.
HOWEVER, the point of my note was that "edit by hand" of the DeviceSupport.drprofile NO LONGER WORKS in Panther. I know it worked in build 7B49 and earlier, and does not work in 7B78 and later...since I did not see every build, I'm not sure exactly where it changed. I suspect that there is nothing you can easily do in DeviceSupport.drprofile alone to make it work.

So far I see no negative impact from using the entire 7B49 DiscRecording.framework in 7B85. When I have a chance I'll see if I can figure out where the apparent software block is within 7B85's DiscRecording.framework."

See if you can snag the old beta framework from someone. Damn, why did I have to throw out those CDs!

vinster
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by Prijker:
Back in OSX 10.2.8, my 48x16x48 QPS FireWire CD-RW drive was recognized from the Finder, and i could burn a CD with Disk Copy (i don't own Toast).

The QPS mechanism is SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW 248B, so it seems Panther has lost support for this Samsung drive.

Thanks

vic
I'm having problems with a QPS samsung as well. See: here.

Is your drive listed as supported on Apple's page? If so, this will probably be fixed eventually.

Ken Masters
Banned
Oct 28, 2003, 11:10 PM

i really hope my Sony Combo CRX-300 works in Panther,

and i hope its as easy to mod the authoring device.plugin as it was in Jag.

Prijker  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by ZackS:
Damn: I just saw this:

See if you can snag the old beta framework from someone. Damn, why did I have to throw out those CDs! [/B]
So it seems the solution involves a beta version of 10.3?
Is there anyone with a Panther 7B49 or earlier version? Could you send me a copy of the "DiscRecording.framework" system folder?
I'll try this trick, and report results here.

Thanks

vic

Prijker  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2003, 10:07 AM

Is there anyone with a Panther 7B49 or earlier version? Could you send me a copy of the "DiscRecording.framework" system folder?
I'll try this trick, and report results here.

Thanks

vic

Forum Links
Forum Rules