Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Bad memory in PB's from Mac Mall

Bad memory in PB's from Mac Mall
deviousgelatin
Oct 28, 2003, 03:51 PM

I just got off the phone with MacMall regarding the incessant crashing of my brand new (received yesterday) 15" PB from MacMall.

It looks like they've been installing bad RAM in their "free" 512mb upgrade that comes with the purchase. They know about the problem, and to their credit, they're being very helpful in fixing it.

I'll check the powerbook when I get home and remove the extra memory they installed. If that is indeed the problem (and based on the complaints of other MacMall PB customers as relayed to me by a MM service manager, it seems that I have the same problem - crashes, freezes, failure to boot on occasion)and if my powerbook works fine without the extra RAM, they will send premium (Kingston or Viking) ram to replace the faulty memory at no cost to me, AND refund the $50 bucks they charged for the installation.

I'll keep you posted.

My advice is that if you ordered a PB from them and it hasn't shipped yet, call them up and insist on the premium memory before they send out you the computer. Save yourself alot of hassles.

agentmouthwash
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 04:25 PM

Sorry to hear that. I ordered my Powerbook from them as well. No memory problems for me.
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

Forum Links
Forum Rules