Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Microsoft Office X suddenly stopped working under Panther!!

Microsoft Office X suddenly stopped working under Panther!!
stukel1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 03:58 PM

I installed Pather a few days ago and everything was fine. All of a sudden today MS Office X (most updated version) stopped working ... It gives me an error message no matter which part fo the Suite I try to use. It says "The application Microsoft Excel (or whatever) have unexpectedly quit.

Some help. I have no idea what could have changed!!!
Do what's important not what's pressing.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 30, 2003, 04:31 PM

Are you sure you have all of the million updates that came out for office?

"Hello, what have we here?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2003, 04:37 PM

Delete the Microsoft /User/Library/Preferences folder...

Work?

HorseyBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 05:15 PM

You didn't happen to use Font Book and make a few new font sets, did you? I've always found Office under OS X has issues with some fonts (usually fonts that other apps can use perfectly well). If Word doesn't like a particular font, it just won't launch.
Font Book, much to my surprise, moves your fonts into your ~/Library/Fonts folder and keeps them activated even if you tell it not to (essentially it just means they won't show up in any font menus).
So I'd suggest checking your fonts.
HorseyBoy

kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 10:20 PM

Did you do an archive and install? Do you have some fonts that may be missing that you will find in the old system folder?

Also if you did an archive and install, I think that MS Office stores info in the System Library or places outside of your Home folder. These items are not saved in the archive and install mode. You may have to reinstall office if that is the case.

stukel1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 11:23 PM

It was totally the font thing. I installed some other fonts a day or two ago and hadn't used office. When I turned them off in the FontBook Office worked again. That is the strangest thing! Thanks for your help.
Do what's important not what's pressing.

karmaworld
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Delete the Microsoft /User/Library/Preferences folder...

Work?
God bless you gorickey, I've been having strange problems with bullets disappearing in ppt and word docs, toolbars overlapping working pages and everything has come back to normal...well at least stable normal as before clean install of Panther and transfer of all MS Office files from backup....Thank You Thank You...the thought of reinstalling Office upgrade from 2001 frankly scares me to death...oh did I say THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Forum Links
Forum Rules