Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AL 12" and one before difs?

AL 12" and one before difs?
madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2003, 05:49 PM

Does anyone exactly what the difference is between the "new" 12" AL powerbooks and the one's they introduced in September?

I got one they introduced in September and it has the exact same specifications as the "new" 12" AL PBs as far as can tell, except for the model number.

I all that they changed was the casing?? Just wonder because certain items (like S-Video support) are only on the new 12" powerbooks that were "introduced" in September. I have once of these and have all the new features, etc and specs as the AL models, but have a different model number than what Apple lists on their site as the "new" AL models. So I am guessing all that changed was the casing??

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2003, 06:12 PM

What exactly are you on about? There have been two revisions of the 12" PB, the ones introduced in January and the ones introduced in September. Both had S-Video out (via an adaptor) and were aluminium, the difference is that the new ones have DVI out and have 1GHz processors instead of 867MHz, and the graphics processor is slightly improved.

I'm thinking you might be being confused by the iBook G4s, which aren't aluminium and aren't PowerBooks.

Mulattabianca
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2003, 06:34 PM

and something else.. the 12" 1st version got hot. the 1ghz does not.
::1 ::2 ::3 ::

madmacgames  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2003, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
What exactly are you on about? There have been two revisions of the 12" PB, the ones introduced in January and the ones introduced in September. Both had S-Video out (via an adaptor) and were aluminium, the difference is that the new ones have DVI out and have 1GHz processors instead of 867MHz, and the graphics processor is slightly improved.

I'm thinking you might be being confused by the iBook G4s, which aren't aluminium and aren't PowerBooks.
Uh I guess I'm confused for a couple of reasons...

#1 I see talk about 12" AL PBs, Rev A PB's and Rev B PBs... So i thought there were 3 revisions, or that is how people were making it sound.

#2 According to Apple, the S-Video out via the mini-DVI to s-Video adapter only works on the new 12" Powerbooks introduced in September.

and finally the biggest thing of all confusing me is:
#3 If September was the last revision, then why did Apple change the model number again at the beginning of October? I've got a Rev B 12" powerbook and the model number is different than the "current" 12" powerbooks. The number changed around October 8th; however the actual powerbooks apear exactly the same as the Rev B models from September, which is where I am getting confused. If they are still the same, shouldn't they still be the same model number?
( Last edited by madmacgames; Nov 1, 2003 at 07:06 PM. )

fraeone
Nov 1, 2003, 08:05 PM

a 12" Al PB refers to both Rev A and B, Al means Aluminum. There are only two revisions. What are the differing model numbers? It seems reasonable that Apple would give a new model # to the Powerbooks that have Panther preinstalled, so they can tell the difference from the outside of the box.

madmacgames  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2003, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by fraeone:
It seems reasonable that Apple would give a new model # to the Powerbooks that have Panther preinstalled, so they can tell the difference from the outside of the box.
It would, except they changed it a good deal before they starting shipping Powerbooks with Panther pre-installed.

They changed it on or about the 8th, also the cut-off day for the $20 panther up-to-date program and only powerbooks of the "new" model numbers are eligible... except they're the same damn models as the ones from September, just with a different number... I guess that makes them "new"... I just find the whole thing with the new model number for the same model very odd.

surfimp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by madmacgames:
They changed [the model numbers for the newest PBs] on or about the 8th, also the cut-off day for the $20 panther up-to-date program and only powerbooks of the "new" model numbers are eligible...
I think you just answered your own question as to why they changed the model numbers!

Ganesha
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by madmacgames:

#2 According to Apple, the S-Video out via the mini-DVI to s-Video adapter only works on the new 12" Powerbooks introduced in September.

Correct, the old Rev A, notebooks have mini-VGA, and need mini-VGA to s-Video.

The rev Bs have mini-DVI

Ganesha
Senior User
Nov 3, 2003, 01:41 AM

Double post

Forum Links
Forum Rules