Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Teac CD-W552E and Panther?

Teac CD-W552E and Panther?
searchbuffet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 12:33 AM

I know there were some workarounds for the Teac CD-W552E drive and OS X 10.2, but I can't find anything for Panther.

Is there anyway to get it working with Panther? Toast 6 recognizes it, and will burn to it - but the finder/itunes, etc. won't...

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 06:27 AM

Have a look at http://www.xlr8yourmac.com.

I can't check it at the moment as it seems to be down, but this is the place for driver versions to make non-Apple drives work in the Finder / iTunes. I don't know if they have checked anything with Panther yet.

Don't know why Apple can't just add support for these drives. After all if someone can hack their drivers to support these drives they must be able to add them in for us.

searchbuffet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the info. I don't see anything yet about Panther...but hopefully there'll be a hack soon, this sucks without a working drive.

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2003, 10:33 PM

I hear ya, I have a sony dru 510 with no more iDvd support

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2003, 12:50 AM

I don't want to be the one to mess things up but I have heard about people experimenting with 'similar' drivers with some success.

searchbuffet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 03:18 AM

Hmm..., know of a similar driver for the Teac? I don't even know where to start.

Prijker
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 06:51 AM

Here is something from xlr8yourmac.com you must medit, and with what i agree 100%:

"I'm sure Apple has their reasons for this - but for those of us doing the mods we don't expect Apple to guarantee they will work flawlessly - just don't lock us out from even trying. Not everyone owns an Apple supported drive and many that do want the option to upgrade to better/faster drives.
As I said when iTunes for Windows was released, it's almost ironic that PC iTunes users will have far more burners supported than Mac iTunes users. (Windows supports literally all DVD and PC burners.) This is another case where PC users point to Macs as being non-standard and limiting their upgrade or expansion choices. And in this particular case - I really have to agree with them."

vic

searchbuffet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 05:04 PM

Agreed. I still don't see how Apply can justify not supporting a built-in CD-R/DVDROM drive that they put in my machine when I ordered it; since it is "fully" OS X Panther compatible.

Especially since it worked fine under 10.2.8 with the hack, but now that Apple has cut out a hackable version...who knows what will happen. I can't even play DVDs now on my DVD drive. This really sucks. Bad apple, bad apple!

Forum Links
Forum Rules