Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Treo 600 over a Sony Z600 and Tungsten T3?

View Poll Results: Which mobile device(s) is best for my daily mobile e-mail checking binds?
Poll Options:
Handspring Treo 600 9 votes (75.00%)
Tungsten T3/SE Z600 Duo 3 votes (25.00%)
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll
Treo 600 over a Sony Z600 and Tungsten T3?
utilizer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 01:32 PM

Here we go again...
Decisions, decisions.
What's better? An all-in-one device that basically can do it all and you don't have to worry about keeping up with two devices or two devices that are superior in their respective categories?
The SonyEricsion Z600 makes a for a very nice and fully featured cell phone complete with bluetooth and is a flip design, something I've come to appreciate after losing one and switch back to the static slab form.

To get bluetooth with the Treo though, I'd need to get an SD expansion card and based on that, could I connect to my PowerBook through Bluetooth?

Let me explain the need for this in my biz life now: I've found it increasingly difficult to be on the road with the laptop all the time and in order to get e-mail, I must whip out the laptop I've left in the car at a jobsite then connect the phone to it. It just takes too much time.

I would like to have a solution in which I can have a pocket device that will allow for me to promptly respond to my clients' concerns and keep them up to date or if an emergency occurs, I can do the same.

I don't know about the screen resolution of the Treo but do know that the T3 offers the best resolution and screen area I've seen yet; saw it at BestBuy two weeks ago and I was blow away quite frankly. Then I heard about the SE Z600 was coming over here and boom! I thought of the perfect match, but again, is it really?

Let me know what you all think!

Sean Li
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 07:44 PM

IMO, the Z600 + T3 option is too cumbersome compared to the integration of the Treo 600. First of all, the combined weight would be higher, not to mention the size; if you haven't seen a Z600 in person, you'll be surprised at the thickness (it's significantly thicker than the Treo 600).

I've been using a Treo 600 for just over a week now. Before that, I had a Palm Tungsten T/T2/T3 combined with a SE T610. While it worked well enough, it wasn't ideal. I actually preferred to first check message headers using the T610, then if it was *really* necessary I'd download the message through the Palm and respond.

In contrast, the Treo 600 makes it so easy to check messages and to respond that my data usage in 1 week has already exceeded what I would normally use in 1 month.

The other advantage is that the browser on the Treo is excellent, and faster than the Palm + T610 combination I was using.

Having said that, it's still a compromise: you don't get the small size and light weight of a phone when you only need the phone (size of the Z600 notwithstanding), and you don't get the processing power and large high resolution screen of the T3. But the Treo 600 is the first device where I've accepted that compromise, because it does both phone and PDA functions very well, with the right balance of integration.

utilizer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Sean Li:
IMO, the Z600 + T3 option is too cumbersome compared to the integration of the Treo 600. First of all, the combined weight would be higher, not to mention the size; if you haven't seen a Z600 in person, you'll be surprised at the thickness (it's significantly thicker than the Treo 600).

I've been using a Treo 600 for just over a week now. Before that, I had a Palm Tungsten T/T2/T3 combined with a SE T610. While it worked well enough, it wasn't ideal. I actually preferred to first check message headers using the T610, then if it was *really* necessary I'd download the message through the Palm and respond.

In contrast, the Treo 600 makes it so easy to check messages and to respond that my data usage in 1 week has already exceeded what I would normally use in 1 month.

The other advantage is that the browser on the Treo is excellent, and faster than the Palm + T610 combination I was using.

Having said that, it's still a compromise: you don't get the small size and light weight of a phone when you only need the phone (size of the Z600 notwithstanding), and you don't get the processing power and large high resolution screen of the T3. But the Treo 600 is the first device where I've accepted that compromise, because it does both phone and PDA functions very well, with the right balance of integration.
Sounds like a good bet to get the Treo; I love the idea of a small device I can take anywhere with me without any fear of losing one of the two other devices I was considering (haha). The Z600 seems like it would be bulky; I looked at it in another one of these thread on here on top of a 17 in. Powerbook! Let's just say, it's pretty darn BIG!!

At any rate, I look at it this way:
If I need to do robust replies, that's what laptops are for anyways, right?
Plus, I just thought about the previous generation Treo and that was extremely bulky to me so I don't know what I was thinking when I whipped up this thread! But anyways, nice discussion, the Treo is the winna!

kjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 10:52 PM

Just a little food for thought:

I returned my treo 600 today. While the integration of PDA/Phone is absolutely the best available, the screen on the Treo is total garbage. And I'm not just talking resolution. 160x160 (or is it 120x120?) is no problem. The issue I have is it only supports approx. 3500 colors. I purchased the 600 for two main reasons: first, to eliminate carrying two devices. It does this perfectly. Second, to be able to snap a pic in the field and send it back to the engineering team for "instant" commentary while I'm at the customer's site. It is totally unacceptable for need two. The camera does 640x480, but in such low color quality that the images are unusable.

I'm not trying to burst anyone's treo 600 bubble. I actually love the integration the device provides. But for $600, I need the device to perform well in all aspects.

Kevin

(edit- bad spelling)

MikeD
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 11:17 PM

I was disappointed when I found out about the Treo's screen resolution and quality. Right now, I'm using a Sony Clie UX-50 with a Siemens S56 GSM phone. The combo is a winner in my book. Sure, the S56 has a cruddy little screen but with it's bluetooth and great reception, I'm sending email and doing text messages like never before with the UX in hand! It also works great with the powerbook when I'm using that! Yes, I have to have two devices with me. The S56 is SO small though (about t68 size) and with the belt clip, it's pretty invisible to me. I do though, have the UX in my pocket though. So I'm not sure what really is 'best for you'. You should definitely play around with a treo 600 before you make a decision about it first!!

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

TiUser
Nov 3, 2003, 08:12 AM

MikeD,
How do you get the Clie UX 50 to work with your powerbook and the cell phone?

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2003, 10:07 AM

I have been waiting for the killer all in one for years. The Treo 600 is close, but misses on a few things.

First of all, I really use my Palm for applications, so the bigger screen and virtual graffiti of the T3 is something I really am looking forward to.

Also, if you two devices it provides twice the backup. If one goes away, you at least have the other. (lose your cell phone, still have your Palm and numbers).

I am going for the T3 and a bluetooth phone with picture support (Addressbook).

BZ

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2003, 12:01 PM

The Treo 600 is the best Palm OS - phone solution.

I have had it for a month and love it. I upgraded from a Treo 300, however, so I was used to the display.

The 600 is small and powerful. A heavy traveller needs this. You can email, phone, surf, and even download software directly into the phone. You can even connect it to a notebook and provide GPRS to your Mac.

The only features missing are:

-hi-res display (which I bet will be in the next Treo)
-Bluetooth (which really is not essential and can be added via SDIO)

So there. If you don't need a hi-res display (you don't really), and you have the cash, get the Treo.

CC

MikeD
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by TiUser:
MikeD,
How do you get the Clie UX 50 to work with your powerbook and the cell phone?
Can you be more specific? In general, both over bluetooth....

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

utilizer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 01:32 PM

I'm still on the fence after reading some of your comments.
I still have excellent vision after all of these years of computer usage, but can't stand clutter in a small space on the screen.

Now, I have a problem in carrying two devices and want the ability to quickly respond, meaning that the Palm interface works best with a keyboard interface. If I wrote all that much, the PocketPC would have it hands down, although I don't know about Graff. 2 on Palm OS 5. What is the speed like? Can I actually write two characters at one time and have them printed on the screen for goodness sake like I can when testing out my friends iPaq?!

While it would be cumbersome to use the T3 with a keyboard, I don't think it would be the best. Functional yes, but both of those, the Sony Clie (the foldable models) have it; Why are they soooo expensive though?

I like the arguments presented and need to check the Treo just a little more and see if I can live with the shortcomings. I did want that Bluetooth though on the Treo to go with the HandsFree stuff in my new car, but then that limits my expansion bay which I believe I'll need for the e-mail I'll lug around with me for reference.

TiUser
Nov 3, 2003, 02:15 PM

MikeD,
Sorry, I mean do you need extra software, such as the Missing Sync, in order to work with the PB? Also, does the built-in WiFi recognize any hot spot immediately? Thanks.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2003, 10:36 PM

What has built in WiFi?, not the treo 600
Force

Forum Links
Forum Rules