Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Airport Update, Any Improvements?

New Airport Update, Any Improvements?
ownersbox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2003, 07:17 PM

Anyone notice improved wireless with the new update today?

I can't really tell because I'm under a good cloud right now.

I'm looking for range improvements more than anything.

Palafo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 01:09 AM

I don't have airport extreme, but I downloaded the update anyway, cause I might switch one of these days and it shouldn't matter but... it seems to. I was having a lot of problems with not getting good reception w/airport (it's the white snow station) & my Titanium PB, which have notorious reception problems (airport is in the other room). Now I have solid bars. Safari no longer requires me to click every URl twice. And so on.

The only explanation I can think is that there are some subtle improvements to the code that help w/Panther. Does that make any sense? Probably not, but why do I have all my bars when before I was lucky to get half of them? Crazy.

So do the update even if you don't have extreme. It may do nothing, but it won't hurt, either.

Tomster
Senior User
Nov 4, 2003, 01:57 AM

Did you try WPA? Finally, we have a secure encryption standard on WiFi. The only problem is that WPA will not run on my dual bridged Airport Extreme setup. There may be a way, but it involved buying another base station though.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

ownersbox  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 12:05 PM

Well to follow up on this thread, I have to agree the update does make a big difference (Atleast for me) Now where I was not able to get a reception before I do. I'm very happy now that this has been improved.

deviousgelatin
Nov 4, 2003, 01:22 PM

I haven't actually used my Airport Extreme, but I did notice this curious tidbit after I installed it. Before the upgrade, I was getting a regular 2-bar signal - I presume I was picking it up from the Cheesesteak place down the street that offers free wireless while you eat (like you would ever catch me eating anything as greasy & messy as a cheesesteak anywhere near my PB).

After the upgrade? 1 bar. Hmmmm.....

Forum Links
Forum Rules