Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Applescript in Mac OS X

Applescript in Mac OS X
cuz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2001, 08:47 PM

Hello, all. I can't get the search function working, so I must post this question...

Has anyone out there experienced problems while trying to record Applescripts in OS X? I can open up Script Editor with no problem and when I hit the Record button, Script Editor picks up on that. But when I start performing tasks, Script Editor doesn't record them. The next thing that happens is that S.E. hangs and I can't close it out unless I Force/Quit. I know that basic Applescripts compiled in 9.1 and 9.2 will work in OS X, but I'd like to get the Editor in OS X functioning. Anyone familiar with this problem?

Thanx in advance...
-cuzin

max4ever
Sep 17, 2001, 09:33 PM

Well, I'm familiar with this problem, but only in the sense that I have the same trouble recording. However, SE has never hung up on me that I can remember. Sorry I can't help, hopefully someone else knows about this glitch and can help both of us.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2001, 09:58 PM

I seem to remember seeing a release note somewhere that mentioned recording not being supported in 10.0...
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

bewebste
Senior User
Sep 18, 2001, 12:29 AM

Recording is supported in Carbon and Mac OS X, but in order for recording to work, each individual application must write code to support it as well. This is true under OS 8/9 too. The reason that your recording isn't doing anything is just because the apps you're trying to use, such as the Finder, do not yet support recording. BBEdit does work, for instance. I haven't had Script Editor hang on me, though.

There is not yet a Cocoa API for recording, although a Cocoa app could support recording by means of calls to the Carbon APIs if so desired.

<Zed W>
Sep 18, 2001, 03:36 AM

Look for some cool scripting stuff in the 10.1 release. My friends on the inside tell me that they have kept in quiet on purpose. I can't wait!

dogzilla
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2001, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Zed W&gt;:
<STRONG>Look for some cool scripting stuff in the 10.1 release. My friends on the inside tell me that they have kept in quiet on purpose. I can't wait!</STRONG>
Well, I sure hope so. There were hints and insinuations of this by Sal Seghovian (sp?) on the old "I'm an Apple employee..." thread. Hints of a Hypercard-like system. Insinuations of a deeper integration of AppleScript into the system and perhaps also the underlying BSD layer.

None of that's panned out so far. It would be *really* nice to see AppleScript get up to the level of functionality it has on os9 and perhaps (dare we hope) to even have some new capabilities/speed. I note that Perl/Python/TCL are scraming fast on other Unix boxen, and they're also interpreted languages. They're even screaming fast when dealing with the crappy XWindows interface (via Tk), so OSX's lovely Aqua layer should be at least that fast.

And BTW - does anyone know anything about FaceSpan for OSX? (Yes, I know about REALBasic, but I have an investment in FaceSpan already)

cuz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2001, 11:16 AM

Hey all. Just wanted to take quick sec and say thanks for the help on this...I'm trying to get this going by way of AppleScript as we speak.
-cuzin

<Zed W>
Sep 19, 2001, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by dogzilla:
<STRONG>

Well, I sure hope so. There were hints and insinuations of this by Sal Seghovian (sp?) on the old "I'm an Apple employee..." thread. Hints of a Hypercard-like system. Insinuations of a deeper integration of AppleScript into the system and perhaps also the underlying BSD layer.

None of that's panned out so far. It would be *really* nice to see AppleScript get up to the level of functionality it has on os9 and perhaps (dare we hope) to even have some new capabilities/speed. I note that Perl/Python/TCL are scraming fast on other Unix boxen, and they're also interpreted languages. They're even screaming fast when dealing with the crappy XWindows interface (via Tk), so OSX's lovely Aqua layer should be at least that fast.

And BTW - does anyone know anything about FaceSpan for OSX? (Yes, I know about REALBasic, but I have an investment in FaceSpan already)</STRONG>
Get ready.

Forum Links
Forum Rules