Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > OUTLOOK in Mac.???

OUTLOOK in Mac.???
madhu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 12:31 PM

Hi, Could anyone please tell me if is there any way I can use some form of mail management software (outlook/entrigue) etc, in Mac and also save the data in a PST file like how we do it Windows. I am a new switcher from Windows world to Mac. I liked mac too much to let it go..i've even got a new 12" PB. Can someone tell me whether i can save my data like in windows?

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2003, 04:29 AM

Originally posted by madhu:
Hi, Could anyone please tell me if is there any way I can use some form of mail management software (outlook/entrigue) etc, in Mac and also save the data in a PST file like how we do it Windows. I am a new switcher from Windows world to Mac. I liked mac too much to let it go..i've even got a new 12" PB. Can someone tell me whether i can save my data like in windows?

The new Mail App in 10.3 Panter works great with Microsoft Exchange Mail servers (at least at my work). Then if you want calender functions you have to use the iCal app or some third party app..

An other solutions is that you get MS Office for the Mac. The included Entourage app (mail and calender and contacts) should have exchange support but I have had no luck getting it to work yet. However Apple Mail App solved that problem for me.

Other than that...is that this thread belongs to the Software forum!

haifischjunge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 05:56 AM

exchange server mail only works, if configured as IMAP (however default)

in entourage 1.1.4 you have quite enhanced exchange integration. shared calandars etc. finally work!

And right it sould be moved to the software forum

BlueCat
Nov 5, 2003, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by madhu:
Short answer unfortunately is no. Even Entourage, the Microshaft mail client for Mac does not save data in PST files. Well not at least the mail files. It more resembles the Outlook Express method of using separate files for each folder that you have in your PST file (e.g. inbox, etc).
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

-Q-
Nov 5, 2003, 10:25 AM

BlueCat is correct. The .PST file format really doesn't exist for the Mac. While you can use Mail or Entourage to connect to an exchange server, you won't be able access any old mail held in a .PST file directly.

This thread outlines the way you can export that mail into a format the above software can import tho'.

Forum Links
Forum Rules