Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Junk in Junk Mailbox not visible. (Panther)

Junk in Junk Mailbox not visible. (Panther)
m4rtin
Nov 5, 2003, 01:23 AM

Thanks to help in previous topics, I now have Junk Mail going into the Junk mailbox.
However, I cannot see the messages.
I get the numerical indicator on the mailbox icon, but clicking the folder shows it's empty.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this?

I'd like to see the mail to verify that it's actually junk.

Screen shot:
http://level.co.uk/images_offsite/mail.jpg

I posted this on the Apple forum too but there's no replies apart from those with the same issue.

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2003, 12:09 PM

I have the problem too, and likewise have no suggestions for a fix. Thank you, though, for saving me the trouble of starting a new topic on this (which I was about to do. )

I should add that after a week of training, the Panther junk mail filter is still relativeliy clueless compared to the Jaguar filter it replaced....

m4rtin  (op)
Nov 5, 2003, 07:30 PM

Anyone?

I think the filter is almost 100% as far as I can tell. Under 10.2.x I still got loads of Junk making it to the InBox. Now I get virtually none.
However, as I mentioned above I can't tell if there's any false ones - and I need to check for peace of mind.

Please help me.......

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2003, 10:18 PM

May not help you, but I don't have this problem. Try doing a mailbox "rebuild" and see if it helps.

m4rtin  (op)
Nov 5, 2003, 10:34 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but it's greyed out for that mailbox.

Screen shot:
http://level.co.uk/images_offsite/norebuild.jpg

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2003, 12:48 PM

After looking through a bunch of crap in my Library and trying a bunch of things, I finally just deleted my Junk folder, and now things are working.

Home directory -> Library -> Mail -> <mail account name> -> Junk

Of course, you'll lose the stuff that's in there when you do this. To avoid this, you could first try disabling junk mail filtering, which may move all your junk back into other mailboxes, so you can look at them.

It's interesting, after doing this, Mail doesn't create a new Junk folder, just an ordinary junk.mbox, like all the other mailboxes. Weird. In any case, it seems to have solved the problem for me.

m4rtin  (op)
Nov 6, 2003, 04:56 PM

At last, it works (holds breath).

Removing the Junk folder seemed to do it.
My new Junk box looks like the old one did, icon and all, but I can now view inside it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules