Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Shiny Trackpad, Yuck!!

Shiny Trackpad, Yuck!!
hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 01:14 AM

My Rev A 17" Powerbook and iBook over time have built up a shiny sweetspot on the trackpad during normal use.
I recently got rid of my Rev A 17"PB and got the new Rev B 17" (Apple Replacement). Now that I have the Bluetooth mouse I try not to use my trackpad so it will maintain a nice appeal but there are times that I don't want to use the Bluetooth mouse and I would rather use the trackpad.
Is there a way to maintain the Trackpad so it won't get shiny over time? Do all notebooks including PC's get like this?
Any help appreciated.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

mrgaskell
Senior User
Nov 6, 2003, 01:38 AM

Wash your hands with soap more often.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

Lorinserbenz
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2003, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by hldan:
My Rev A 17" Powerbook and iBook over time have built up a shiny sweetspot on the trackpad during normal use.
I recently got rid of my Rev A 17"PB and got the new Rev B 17" (Apple Replacement). Now that I have the Bluetooth mouse I try not to use my trackpad so it will maintain a nice appeal but there are times that I don't want to use the Bluetooth mouse and I would rather use the trackpad.
Is there a way to maintain the Trackpad so it won't get shiny over time? Do all notebooks including PC's get like this?
Any help appreciated.
Well I will not be a smarta** and say wash your hands. I think most people do that on a regular basis. It is the oil off of your hands that cause the shiney spots.
go to www.newcolorshop.com and order some trackpad film. They sell it for $12.00 for two pieces. I also recommend the Palmrest rugs.
Also try http://www.macimports.com they are great to deal with as well.
Newcolorshop appears to be down, they are based out of Japan.
http://www.macimports.com/macimp/tp2.html

hldan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by mrgaskell:
Wash your hands with soap more often.
That's a very genius answer. Don't mention anything if you don't have a "brainy"solution. Take care.
I wasn't looking for an idiotic no brainer response. I'm sure several people have encountered a sweetspot on their trackpad.
But I forgot to say thanks mrgaskell!
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

hldan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by Lorinserbenz:
Well I will not be a smarta** and say wash your hands. I think most people do that on a regular basis. It is the oil off of your hands that cause the shiney spots.
go to www.newcolorshop.com and order some trackpad film. They sell it for $12.00 for two pieces. I also recommend the Palmrest rugs.
Hey, that was really helpful. I heard about that trackpad film before but forgot all about it. I'll check it out. Much appreciated Lorinserbenz. Take care.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Lorinserbenz
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2003, 01:54 AM

Hey, that was really helpful. I heard about that trackpad film before but forgot all about it. I'll check it out. Much appreciated Lorinserbenz. Take care.
You are welcome.

fraeone
Nov 6, 2003, 03:31 PM

That's a very genius answer. Don't mention anything if you don't have a "brainy"solution. Take care.
I wasn't looking for an idiotic no brainer response. I'm sure several people have encountered a sweetspot on their trackpad.
But I forgot to say thanks mrgaskell!
Like it or not, he gave you good advice.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2003, 03:38 PM

Mine has brown skid marks ... but I use wet wipes and now it sparkles like cold, hard, aluminum ... not like warm, soft ...

Jeez ... donchya'll have anything else to worry about?

HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

Lorinserbenz
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2003, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by fraeone:
Like it or not, he gave you good advice.
Wash your hands is good advice???!! Guess you are one of those people that say breathing is good for you too

Tomster
Senior User
Nov 6, 2003, 06:38 PM

Washing your hands is not at all helpful in the long run. A shiny spot can result from oil build up, but a quick wipe with a mild cleaner will take care of that. The shiny spots on a trackpad can also result from your fingertip wearing the trackpad smooth over time.

The only way to avoid this is with some sort of film. I recommend vinyl adhesive.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

pete
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 06:57 PM

I always feel silly caring so for my little powerbook, so I just use a sticky on top of the trackpad. It covers the trackpad perfectly and looks like you just left a note to yourself there....

hldan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by pete:
I always feel silly caring so for my little powerbook, so I just use a sticky on top of the trackpad. It covers the trackpad perfectly and looks like you just left a note to yourself there....
Thanks for all the responses to my post that were "helpful" and not insulting. Those people know who they are.
There are people on these forums that make up anything to make conversation and I was just asking a simple question hoping for a viable solution.
It's totally unnecessary for people to give "Low I.Q." answers just to irritate someone.
Again thanks to all the non-insulting helpers.
Much appreciated.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 08:46 PM

It's not an insult. It's normal and proper to wash your hands every fifteen minutes to rid them of the sweat and disgusting oil.

Seriously, just wipe the stupid thing with an alcohal swab.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

mrgaskell
Senior User
Nov 6, 2003, 09:26 PM

I was actually being quite serious. Soap, for all of you, uh, less knowledgeable people in this forum, breaks down the natural oils that your skin produces and would thus decrease the amount of oil you leave behind on your trackpad. I wash my hands before using my PB for that reason (and I work around kids who seem to not take hygeine as serious as I do) and generally will wash them again if my hands feel oily.

Oh, and to the people of this forum who get bent out of shape so easily: f'in relax!

pcwizard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 04:46 AM

Just use diluted alcohol and rub away ;-)
Probably best practice to do this every month or so, to stop the build-up.

Cheers,

R

Its Mickey Mouses birthday today, but Goofy can't come as he's visiting our country!

Tomster
Senior User
Nov 18, 2003, 05:10 AM

Originally posted by mrgaskell:
Soap, for all of you, uh, less knowledgeable people in this forum, breaks down the natural oils that your skin produces and would thus decrease the amount of oil you leave behind on your trackpad.
Uh. Thanks. So uh, are you trying to describe polar vs non polar objects, hydocarbons, and ampiphiles to us poor unenlightened, simple folk? Because that's how soap works. And we can get into surface tension too, if you would like.

The irreversible shine on the trackpad resulted from one's fingertip polishing the pad over time. Sure, you can remove hydrocarbons from a surface with an ampiphile, but that's pretty much obvious.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2003, 08:28 AM

I never worry about washing my hands. I mostly use the Microsoft BT mouse. I do take care to clean the track pad and exterior with a mild solution of soap and water on a damp rag. The Bluetooth mouse used to skip in Jaguar but now works well in Panther. Just love it, except for the fact that I must remove batteries when transporting it. Wish it had an on/off switch...

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 05:41 PM

i agree with some of the above..

wash your hands more often, to REDUCE build up, simple as pie...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2003, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by cdhostage:
It's not an insult. It's normal and proper to wash your hands every fifteen minutes to rid them of the sweat and disgusting oil.

[comments deleted]
Wow! Many people accuse me of washing my hands too often, but even I don't wash them every fifteen minutes! If you are awake sixteen hours per day, this means that you wash them sixty-four times! I just wash them whenever they get oily or dirty, and then many people tell me that I must be extremely neurotic, but I just ignore them.

I use Softsoap� 2 in 1 Antibacterial Liquid Hand Soap Plus Real Moisturizing Lotion to keep my hands from drying out; the lotion in the soap has so far been very effective in keeping my skin from drying out even with frequent use.

However, I do recommend using Gojo� Industries' PURELL� hand sanitizer for when soap is not available. I carry a bottle with me everywhere I go, and refill it as necessary. Again, people keep telling me that I'm neurotic when I use it, but I just ignore them and use it whenever my hands feel dirty or oily.

One suggestion to clean your trackpad directly is to use iKlear. I have used it on my PowerBook trackpad, and it seems to work fine if used occasionally. It does change the way that the trackpad feels slightly immediately after use, though, so I wouldn't recommend it for frequent use. I had some difficulty in moving the cursor immediately after wiping it with this product because it made the trackpad feel somewhat waxy. However, tracking efficiency returned very soon, and it cleaned the trackpad. Just be sure that you don't let any of the product seep into your PowerBook through the edges of your trackpad!

--DekuDekuplex

P.S. I once met an even more neurotic computer user than myself who actually carried a bottle of alcohol with him and used it in a public Internet caf� to wipe vigorously the backrest of a leather chair before sitting in it! I showed him my PURELL� and told him that I used it to sanitize my hands occasionally, and he told me that he thought it was too "weak" to be useful! He was a middle-aged man dressed in a business jacket. I actually felt sorry for the chair, because it seemed to lose its luster after being wiped! I don't usually wipe leather products with alcohol, although it's fine for glass and most plastics.

Also, I usually use Lavacol� ethyl rubbing alcohol instead of regular isopropyl alcohol, even though it is more expensive, because it feels more gentle on the skin.
( Last edited by DekuDekuplex; Nov 18, 2003 at 06:42 PM. )
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2003, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by DekuDekuplex:
P.S. I once met an even more neurotic computer user than myself who actually carried a bottle of alcohol with him and used it in a public Internet caf� to wipe vigorously the backrest of a leather chair before sitting in it!
How do you spell "OCD"?
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

mrgaskell
Senior User
Nov 18, 2003, 11:40 PM

I use to be a procurement tech for an organ and tissue "harvester." When we were in the field and did not have a proper surgical suite, we used purell sanitizer.

On my old TiBook (before it was stolen ) I used the iKleer stuff on the body. I found that it seemed to hold on to prints and grease a little bit more with the iKleer than without. I have found with my new 12" PB that it water and a little drop of SOAP in a bowl with a lintless cloth work just fine in removing prints and making the body look and feel clean.

And once again, I really wasn't trying to insult the post originator's (hldan) intelligence. I'm really not a smarta** or an a-hole.

hldan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 08:54 PM

I'm the original poster of the shiny trackpad syndrome. I wanted everyone to know that I took the advice of Lorinserbenz and ordered the trackpad film and I got it today. Price wasn't bad only $9.00 US dollars after tax and shipping. Ships as a package of 2 films.
Macimports (the company that makes the trackpad film) state that the film doesn't degrade performance but unfortunately they are not completely right about that.
It has to be "used" a little to make the actions smooth but after that it works as promised.
It adhere's easily to the trackpad and lays smoothly but several times the pointer shot across the screen and wiggled about. But it's cool now. However Lorinserbenz gave me a helpful solution as well as some others.

Oh to the person that mentioned about me washing my hands more often. In a way it is insulting. I don't know the age level of the people that write posts in this forum but I am not a child and telling someone to wash their hands is like reminding a child.
If I had mentioned that I was an auto mechanic with dirty hands and was complaining about my trackpad getting shiny then maybe that "insult" wouldn't really be an "insult".
I think the trackpad becomes shiny over time due to wear as some of the people mentioned and not only due to oily hands.
( Last edited by hldan; Nov 19, 2003 at 09:27 PM. )
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2003, 02:32 AM

I just ordered the Track Pad Cover for 17 inch PowerBook from New Color Shop.

The merchant had a special deal on it for USD $9.00 (regular price: USD $12.00), and shipping & handling was free.

Their site was not down.

I'll keep everybody here posted on how it works.

--DekuDekuplex
-- Matsuo Basho

hldan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 02:57 AM

The merchant had a special deal on it for USD $9.00 (regular price: USD $12.00), and shipping & handling was free.

Their site was not down.

--DekuDekuplex
Just to give an update to what I wrote earlier. The trackpad cover film from Macimports is a "Must Have" for anyone with an Apple Notebook. After a couple of hours of having it on my Powerbook it's really smooth. No performance issues and it makes the computer stay looking like new. Just make sure to "break it in" for about 20 minutes and it will be your saving grace.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2003, 04:33 PM

Just to give an update to what I wrote earlier. The trackpad cover film from Macimports is a "Must Have" for anyone with an Apple Notebook. After a couple of hours of having it on my Powerbook it's really smooth. No performance issues and it makes the computer stay looking like new. Just make sure to "break it in" for about 20 minutes and it will be your saving grace.
What's the difference between the MacImports and New Color Shop versions?

--DekuDekuplex
-- Matsuo Basho

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2003, 04:44 PM

Their site was not down.

--DekuDekuplex
After I placed my order, Eric Ko at New Color Shop sent me the following e-mail message:

Originally e-mailed by Eric Ko at New Color Ltd.:
Thanks for order from our online store, but it seem our system have
problem, We lost the detail of your new order, please give us again
which
item we should ship to and the shipping address.

Best Regards

Eric Ko
Sales & Marketing Manager
New Color Ltd.

Unit 502, 5/F,
Polly Commercial Building,
21-23 Prat Avenue,
Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon.
Tel: 852-96289515
Fax: 852-28573676

http://www.newcolorshop.com

[email protected]
I just re-sent them the details of my order.

Apparently, they are based in Kowloon, not Japan (unless they have at least two offices, one in each country).

Where did you get the information that they were based in Japan?

--DekuDekuplex
( Last edited by DekuDekuplex; Nov 26, 2003 at 04:50 PM. )
-- Matsuo Basho

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2003, 05:07 PM

I've a shiny trackpad as well, and I've used those trackpad protectors before.

They're good no doubt but for me, they wear out pretty fast. i wore out 2 pieces in about 4 weeks.

Not cheap, from where I got them. Same ones as the Macimport ones.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by andretan:
I've a shiny trackpad as well, and I've used those trackpad protectors before.

They're good no doubt but for me, they wear out pretty fast. i wore out 2 pieces in about 4 weeks.

Not cheap, from where I got them. Same ones as the Macimport ones.
From where did you get them? How much did they charge?

--DekuDekuplex
-- Matsuo Basho

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2003, 04:41 PM

From where did you get them? How much did they charge?

--DekuDekuplex
I'm from Singapore so there's kinda no point telling ya where I got them from, cause I got them from locally.

I think you can order from MacImport. The ones I got is the same.

Cheers.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 07:13 PM

How tight do they stick to trackpad?

I have some carpet protection film that we use but I am afraid to see if it removed paint from trackpad when removed?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2003, 07:24 PM

I just use a PDA screen cover. They are cheap, available, and work just fine.

Chris

hldan  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
How tight do they stick to trackpad?

I have some carpet protection film that we use but I am afraid to see if it removed paint from trackpad when removed?
That's a great question. I am using the trackpad film right now from Macimports.com and it works flawlessly but I would like to know if they do any damage like marring the trackpad surface upon removal. If anyone has used them before and has removed it to replace it please let us know if the trackpad still kept it's original look and feel?
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2003, 10:16 PM

I use a piece of adhesive laminating film. A whole sheet of it is available at office supply stores for about 50 cents. Of course you have to cut it to size yourself, but it works great. Can't even tell it's there (but I had to try a few times to get a piece on there with no dust or fingerprints under it).

By the way, I don't think finger oil has ANYTHING to do with the problem for which the thread was started. Rub your (clean) finger across anything for months and it will start to wear smooth. My old iBook trackpad got like that so I decided to protect the surface on my new PowerBook. When it comes time to sell the computer, I'll remove the laminating film and the trackpad will be like brand new.

Another by the way; most people wouldn't care about such things.

AdamSomers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2003, 12:20 AM

My mom buys softsoap, so that's what I use. At school I don't have any hand soap, but one of the guys next door leaves his liquid hand soap on the sink in the bathroom. I believe it is softsoap, as well. I often sneak a drop of it to wash my hands with. I wonder if he's becomming suspicious. I always wash my hands after using the restroom, and before touching my powerbook. Sometimes I wash them after I use the powerbook, as I often get that 'afterglow', such as after good sex, and washing the hands just seems right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules