Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Pismo & working PCMCIA wireless set-up

Pismo & working PCMCIA wireless set-up
buchrob
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 09:52 PM

I had the luxury (and headache over several days) of trying several wireless card/software combinations to get my Powerbook Firewire 2000 machine to work without spending big bucks.

SUCCESS (at last):

Card: Netgear MA-401 (a generic-type PC card available at mass retailers).

Software: http://www.ioexperts.com.
A terrific site, which will break down the actual versions of various cards you may want to try regardless of the driver you choose. The minimal bucks you will spend will attach itself to the wireless CARD you buy, rather than the computer chassis itself, i.e. your investment will follow the card, not the laptop.

Worth the effort muchly. Not affiliated with any vendor, but always glad to pass on success stories if they can be of help to others.

93TT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 10:19 PM

This sounds excactly like what I need, I picked up the Netgear MA-401 today for my G3 powerbook. I downloaded the driver from IO Experts but I can't seem to get it to work with my Airport Extreme base station. I followed their general instructions but no dice, this is like rocket science! What's the trick? It's their latest driver running on 10.2.7. Help! If I can't get it to work I'm returning the card and getting my money back, which sucks because I know it's probably something simple that I'm not doing right.
15" PB 1.25Ghz
14" PB 266Mhz
Biege 333Mhz

Forum Links
Forum Rules