Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Has anyone tried Oracle 9.x JBuilder/RDMS system on X client?

Has anyone tried Oracle 9.x JBuilder/RDMS system on X client?
tibs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 07:39 AM

To anyone that is doing RDMS stuff, I'm trying to install the JBuilder/Databse system from Oracle on my G4 running 10.2.8.

I have a couple of questions:

Has anyone tried to install this sucker on their machine? if so:

- It states that it requires server in order to run... is that really so?
- ceratin UNIX commands that need to be done... changing file prefs etc. I can not update files seeing I don't have permission. Is there a way in X client to become super user? Currently the files I need to change are owend by wheel.
- say if I have another web/db server running ie: Macromedia Jrun, will the two clash on port mapping?

cheers
tibs

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by tibs:
To anyone that is doing RDMS stuff, I'm trying to install the JBuilder/Databse system from Oracle on my G4 running 10.2.8.

I have a couple of questions:

Has anyone tried to install this sucker on their machine? if so:

- It states that it requires server in order to run... is that really so?
- ceratin UNIX commands that need to be done... changing file prefs etc. I can not update files seeing I don't have permission. Is there a way in X client to become super user? Currently the files I need to change are owend by wheel.
- say if I have another web/db server running ie: Macromedia Jrun, will the two clash on port mapping?
1) Does not require server.
2) You can do this using "sudo" on the command line.
3) JRun is an application server. Oracle 9i is a database server. JDeveloper is a development tool. They should not conflict, and can even work together. Oracle typically runs on ports between 1521 and 1540, and web app servers generally run on ports over 7000.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

tibs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 04:42 AM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
1) Does not require server.
2) You can do this using "sudo" on the command line.
3) JRun is an application server. Oracle 9i is a database server. JDeveloper is a development tool. They should not conflict, and can even work together. Oracle typically runs on ports between 1521 and 1540, and web app servers generally run on ports over 7000.
I thought that the Jrun environment was both web/db server... seeing that the default db server gets installed by the installation process. Please correct me if I'm wrong... Also isn't Jbuilder meant to run under is similar manner as the Jrun web/db server or is it more inline to that of WebObjects?

Thanks for tips though... I'll try the stuff out to see how I'll go... will probably be back with more qestions though

cheers

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 11:00 AM

JBuilder is an IDE, not a server.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by tibs:
I thought that the Jrun environment was both web/db server... seeing that the default db server gets installed by the installation process. Please correct me if I'm wrong... Also isn't Jbuilder meant to run under is similar manner as the Jrun web/db server or is it more inline to that of WebObjects?

Thanks for tips though... I'll try the stuff out to see how I'll go... will probably be back with more qestions though

cheers
1) I don't think JRun includes a database. If it does, it's probably a simple in-memory test database for doing development. In any case, it would not conflict with other databases unless you happened to have them both listening on the same port (unlikely unless you specifically set it that way).

I checked the JRun feature list and it does not list including any kind of database. It does say it includes "In-the-Box Database Connectivity", but that just means that it supports JDBC drivers and JINI, which are requirements for being J2EE-compliant.

2) JBuilder is not like JRun or WebObjects. It's more like Project Builder, CodeWarrior, Visual Studio, Eclipse, or Visual Basic. It's a tool to help you WRITE java code, not to serve it up.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Forum Links
Forum Rules