Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > International Input menu icons?

International Input menu icons?
clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 08:21 PM

Now that keycaps is Keyboard viewer in the international keyboard menu, I keep that menu open. (Go to the International keypref in Panther if you don't already know about this)

Anyway the problem is that Apple's icons for their input methods [b]suck[/i]. The default for English is a bright unaliased American flag that probably is the same it was way back in the Sys9 days. Very unelegant when compared with the rest of the OS.

I've looked and looked for the Tiffs for these icons and can't find them anywhere. Does anyone have any idea where they might be?

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2003, 09:59 PM

I just used pacifist to suck out key caps from my jaguar install disk. Works just fine on panther. No need to keep the menu open.

Did the same for Disc Copy since Apple either deleted it or moved it and I can't find it.

headbirth
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 11:25 PM

DiskCopy is part of Disk Utility now!

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by headbirth:
DiskCopy is part of Disk Utility now!
well, sombich. I can't beleive I missed that. Thanks for the heads up.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2003, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
[B]Now that keycaps is Keyboard viewer in the international keyboard menu, I keep that menu open. (Go to the International keypref in Panther if you don't already know about this)

Anyway the problem is that Apple's icons for their input methods suck[/i].
Hear, hear. One more vote for figuring out how to hack those awful little icons.

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 10:39 PM

I've been looking for a while now and haven't found them yet... I think I'll find them soon though.
|wishing is for suckers|

clarkgoble  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 05:26 PM

Someone mentioned that you can run the keycaps via the command line without invoking the international menu.

open /System/Library/Components/KeyboardViewer.component/Contents/SharedSupport/KeyboardViewerServer.app

Apparently though it doesn't die properly when you close the window. i.e. not an ideal situation.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 02:12 AM

Could someone check this out...?

/system/library/keyboard layouts/roman.bundle/contents/resources/Roman.rsrc

clarkgoble  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 02:10 PM

Did anyone check that out? I would but I don't own a copy of resorcerer.

Is there a simple way to open .rsrc files with ResEdit? (Sorry if that is a dumb question)

clarkgoble  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 04:08 PM

Bump

Does anyone who has a copy of Resorcerer want to check? Please? Pretty please?

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 01:29 AM

I tried a demo version of Resorcerer, but I'm a newbie at this stuff and couldn't make heads or tails of it.

When trying to examine the keyboard/script small icon & mask resource (kcs#) in Roman.rsrc I got an error message from Resorcerer, "Sorry, internal bug. Editor not yet supported. Please use the Classic version."

The same message appeared running Resorcerer in Classic.

Help?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2003, 01:15 AM

I checked, using a homebrew resource editor of mine that sadly hasn't been released yet because I haven't had time to make it not suck.

There are a number of 'kcns' resources in that file. They appear to actually be icns resources. If you copied and pasted the hex data into the data fork of a file and gave it an extension of .icns, you should be able to edit them with an icon editor.

Charles

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2003, 01:54 AM

By the way, you can view these files with ResEdit, with a little help from the Terminal:

cd ~/Desktop

touch resfile

cp <path to the data fork .rsrc file> resfile/rsrc

After you do this, a file named "resfile" should appear on your Desktop with the contents of the resource fork file, except that it will be openable with ResEdit.

To apply the changes to the .rsrc file, you will have to do the reverse operation to copy the resource data back into the data fork.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules