Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Typing with a Powerbook 15 Al (Keyboard Issue?)

Typing with a Powerbook 15 Al (Keyboard Issue?)
Hunz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2003, 11:27 PM

I just got a PB 15 AL and don't seem to be having any problems other than a really annoying one that might be my fault. For whatever reason, when I type the cursor seems to jump to another spot on the screen. This happens almost every few minutes.

Now, I may be accidentally clicking the trackpad, but I really don't think so. It seems to happen when I really get typing fast, even though I know I don't go over 40 words per minute.

Does this happen to anyone else? It also highlights and deletes text in a blink of an eye.

Again, it may be me getting used to a new keyboard, but it sure is annoying.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2003, 11:45 PM

In the keyboard & mouse system preference, check "ignore accidental trackpad input."

nate_02
Senior User
Oct 16, 2003, 12:18 AM

Yeah, but I think I am hitting the trackpad, I'm not sure.
-nate

wallaper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2003, 12:19 AM

I have noticed this also, Ithink the trackpad sences the heat from your hand when it gets close to it even if it does not touch it...very anoying.

wallaper

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by wallaper:
I have noticed this also, Ithink the trackpad sences the heat from your hand when it gets close to it even if it does not touch it...very anoying.

wallaper
My wife's iBook does this too.

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2003, 04:01 AM

I get the same thing. Try turning off the "use trackpad for clicking" feature and see if it goes away.

Other suggestions:

Try to learn to keep your right palm a little elevated.

Fabricate a small piece of plastic to cover the upper right corner of the trackpad.

Figure where the preference file is for the "ignore accidental " clicking feature and lengthen the delay.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 05:39 AM

Originally posted by wallaper:

wallaper
Guys, seriously... this is the biggest misconception out there...

trackpads don't sense heat, they actually measure changes in capacitance, (it's related to the charge your body carries)

this is the jist of it:
your fingers, and the air around you are charged, there are perpendicular strips of electrodes in your track pad to measure change in capacitance in one direction or the other (basically, capacitance is related to charge). That's it.

here is a link to a more detailed explanation I found on google for you guys

http://www.macworld.com/2000/08/bc/10trackpad/

PBG4 User
Senior User
Oct 16, 2003, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by 11011001:
Guys, seriously... this is the biggest misconception out there...

trackpads don't sense heat, they actually measure changes in capacitance, (it's related to the charge your body carries)

this is the jist of it:
your fingers, and the air around you are charged, there are perpendicular strips of electrodes in your track pad to measure change in capacitance in one direction or the other (basically, capacitance is related to charge). That's it.

here is a link to a more detailed explanation I found on google for you guys

http://www.macworld.com/2000/08/bc/10trackpad/
Yup, this is why we can't use stylii (styluses?) and use the trackpad with inkwell. I wish Apple would somehow make this work. I could take soooo many more notes if I was able to do quick sketches, diagrams, and formulas without needing to bring in a graphire pad (which I don't, paper and pencil still rules for this type of note taking).

Hunz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2003, 01:27 PM

Thanks, although I'm not sure where to ind the preference file for lengthening the delay.

I'm glad it's not just me, but I think this is a major design flaw. The trackpad clicking is something you begin to rely on.

Originally posted by neutrino23:
I get the same thing. Try turning off the "use trackpad for clicking" feature and see if it goes away.

Other suggestions:

Fabricate a small piece of plastic to cover the upper right corner of the trackpad.

Figure where the preference file is for the "ignore accidental " clicking feature and lengthen the delay.

himself
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by Hunz:
Thanks, although I'm not sure where to ind the preference file for lengthening the delay.

I'm glad it's not just me, but I think this is a major design flaw. The trackpad clicking is something you begin to rely on.
I'm fairly certain this problem is due to one or both hands brushing against the trackpad while typing. The "Ignore Input" option will cut down on the frequency of the occurence, but it still happens. You can tell whether it is coming from your hand by checking the "ignore trackpad when mouse is present" option, and then connecting a mouse... if the mouse-jumping doesn't occur again, then it was accidental trackpad contact that caused it. Otherwise, you've got a hardware problem that Apple needs to address.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2003, 03:02 AM

Originally posted by neutrino23:

Other suggestions:

The track pad acts �ecrazy�f and refuses to follow my commands. When this happens, the only way to stop it is to quit whatever application I am in at the time. There is no recognizable pattern as to when it will happen. But since installing OS 10.2.8, it happens about once or twice per day.

I have tried your suggestions about clicking on 'ignore incidental" but it does not change the problem at all.

Anyone else have these problems?

- PJ
24"2.33Ghz iMac, 500G Hdisk, running OS 10.5; iPhone 3G 16G

wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2003, 04:57 AM

it's true...it's the trackpad you're touching. if you get use to raising your hands slightly so they don't contact the pad, it should stop. i notice that after using a usb mouse for a while, then go back to trackpad it happens more...because i've gotten use to the usb mouse (and have "ignore trackpad when external mouse is connected". i guess it's better than not being sensitive at all.

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2003, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by wy4tt:
it's true...it's the trackpad you're touching. if you get use to raising your hands slightly so they don't contact the pad, it should stop. i notice that after using a usb mouse for a while, then go back to trackpad it happens more...because i've gotten use to the usb mouse (and have "ignore trackpad when external mouse is connected". i guess it's better than not being sensitive at all.
Well, that would explain why it moves sometimes when I am typing... but it does NOT explain why my trackpad goes nutty from time to time. In these situations, I am not typing at all, but TRYING to direct the pointer through the track pad and the arrow goes haywire.
24"2.33Ghz iMac, 500G Hdisk, running OS 10.5; iPhone 3G 16G

Forum Links
Forum Rules