Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 512 Memory For 800 MHz iBook

512 Memory For 800 MHz iBook
aquaclear
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2003, 11:37 AM

I plan on getting a stick of 512 pc133 ram for my ibook from 1800formemory. I got this through www.ramseeker.com . $99 Bucks for 512 is not bad. Anyhow I can save a bit more by getting the 512 memory without the hypertransport. Anyone know about hypertransport and if you see any REAL performance increase? Also is there any coupon codes for this place or know of someother place is has good prices and good memory? I know Kingston and Crucial and I know it is good memory but I don't think it is worth the price if you don't see any REAL performance gains.

Thanks

aquaclear  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2003, 11:39 AM

Sorry meant to say hyperspeed RAM and not hypertransport....

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2003, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by aquaclear:
I know Kingston and Crucial and I know it is good memory but I don't think it is worth the price if you don't see any REAL performance gains.

Thanks
It's not the speed, it's the reliability. I've had very good experiences with the quality of Crucial RAM, and they always have had good customer support, prompt shipping, etc. I've also read posts about people who've had to return defective modules, and had no trouble doing so.

Bad RAM can make your life hell... random crashes, intermittent corrupted data... and you'll think its the software, or the hard drive or something else. Intermittent problems with iffy RAM can be a b!tch to track down.

The speed difference between CAS2-rated RAM and CAS3-rated RAM is 5% at most. And don't forget, your machine will run at the speed of your slowest module, regardless of the speed of the others. And since you've got no control of the speed of the RAM built on to the motherboard (likely CAS3), you will get NO performance gain from spending extra dollars on "fast" RAM.

The $20 difference between quality RAM and discount RAM is worth it. Unless you don't value your data.

Oh, and you also asked about coupons. Try dealmac.com or dealnn.com. There's usually a 5% Crucial discount floating around. I bought a 512MB module for my iBook (presently having the broken optical drive replaced; wife dropped it) with one about 14 days ago.

Geoff Thompson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2003, 12:17 AM

Ive been using a 512mb stick I got from circuit city. Its centon based stuff @ ddr333 and has worked fine in both my G4 iBook, and my sis's 15" Powerbook. It cost $110 up front and had $30 in mail in rebates. Not a bad deal.

aquaclear  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2003, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the responses. I don't know if I can use DDR ram since I am on a G3 and I believe they are made for pc100 and pc133 sdram. DDR is for the new G4 ibooks which I saw the other day and was surprised to see the surface to be some flat matted colored white where the palm rest is located. Not cool looking....

Anyhow thanks again for the responses!

Forum Links
Forum Rules