Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iCal alarms not coming up: solutino anyone?

iCal alarms not coming up: solutino anyone?
fortepianissimo
Senior User
Nov 13, 2003, 02:22 PM

A while ago there's a thread discussing the problem: iCal in Panther no longer sets off alarm (at least when iCal is not running). In the previous version of iCal this works regardless whether iCal is running or not. There was no solution found in that discussion.

I'd appreciate if anyone who has gained new insight to share with us. Thx!

tr
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 08:18 PM

bump

yeah, just the other day i thought, "i should start using iCal instead of Entourage", so i put in some things in the calendar. but i get no alarms, no notifications.

if there's no fix for this, i guess i'm sticking with Entourage...don't really care for it, but at least the alarms/notifications work.

tr

tr
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 08:50 PM

WOO-HOO! got it to work!

found this thread, and followed the tip from yellowdog:

For those having trouble getting reminders to show up ---
Check into your contents folder of the iCal app and go into the resources folder. Find the iCal Helper thing and drag it into your Sys Pref Accounts - User - Startup Items. Logout and then login and it will start up the helper program that will do your reminders. I have tested it with email alerts and message alarms and it now works. It tried it with the iCal program open and closed and it works both ways. Try it - set some alarm for today and get it to notify you say 15 minutes before it is scheduled and see if it works for you. Why Apple didn't see fit to activate this automatically is curious, but it is included and does work.
worked like a charm, as i watch the ringing alarm window as i type!

tr

yellowdog
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2003, 12:01 AM

tr --
Glad it is working for you!

fortepianissimo  (op)
Senior User
Nov 15, 2003, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by tr:
WOO-HOO! got it to work!

found this thread, and followed the tip from yellowdog:

worked like a charm, as i watch the ringing alarm window as i type!

tr
Yup this works and I read that a while ago but didn't try it. I still can't believe that end users need to do this in order to have alarms back. Are we missing something here?

fortepianissimo  (op)
Senior User
Nov 17, 2003, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by fortepianissimo:
Yup this works and I read that a while ago but didn't try it. I still can't believe that end users need to do this in order to have alarms back. Are we missing something here?
Ok mysteriously sometime iCalHelper just vanishes! This can't be the *final* solution right?

Forum Links
Forum Rules