Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bluetooth menu gone

Bluetooth menu gone
Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2003, 03:12 AM

Not sure when it happened, but I know it has been sometime since I have had 10.3 installed. The Bluetooth menu item is gone. And it is gone for both users on my system.

Simple answer right? Click on System Preferences, Bluetooth, and check "Show Bluetooth status in the menu bar". Ok, so I check this, go to Show All, and the icon is not back. Click on Bluetooth again, and the Show icon option is checked for a split second, then it is unchecked. The same thing happens if I use the option in Keyboard and Mouse - Bluetooth.

So, any suggestions? The recent 1.4.1 Bluetooth update didn't fix it.
<This space under renovation>

Xerxes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2003, 07:08 AM

I also found BT a bit funny using 10.3, and that sometimes happens with mine too. I found unplugging the BT device, if external, plugging it back in and that seems to solve it.

Other than that, I also find DiskWarrior a God send to bring speed and stop these bugs.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Drakino:
Not sure when it happened, but I know it has been sometime since I have had 10.3 installed. The Bluetooth menu item is gone. And it is gone for both users on my system.

Simple answer right? Click on System Preferences, Bluetooth, and check "Show Bluetooth status in the menu bar". Ok, so I check this, go to Show All, and the icon is not back. Click on Bluetooth again, and the Show icon option is checked for a split second, then it is unchecked. The same thing happens if I use the option in Keyboard and Mouse - Bluetooth.

So, any suggestions? The recent 1.4.1 Bluetooth update didn't fix it.
[/QUOTE]

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2003, 08:29 AM

You could try pasting this into the terminal:

open /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu\ Extras/Bluetooth.menu

If it doesn't show up look for messages in the Console.

Drakino  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2003, 05:11 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
open /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu\ Extras/Bluetooth.menu

If it doesn't show up look for messages in the Console.
Well, that brought it back for now, I will see how long it stays there. The odd thing is that when I opened the Bluetooth Preferences, the Show option was still off. Hitting it now keeps it on, and turning it off there seems to work. Thanks.

And to the last poster, unplugging it is not an option for me, since it is internal to my Powerbook. I haven't seen this problem yet on my G4 Cube with a USB bluetooth adaptor.
<This space under renovation>

Forum Links
Forum Rules