Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther, AirPort, and DHCP

Panther, AirPort, and DHCP
Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2003, 08:41 AM

Since I have upgraded to Panther, I have not been able to get an IP from my school's Wifi DHCP server. It worked fine in Jaguar, but my PowerBook keeps assigning its own IP onder Panther, so I am unable to use the network. MacOS 10.3.1, Ti PowerBook G4 1GHz.
PowerMac G4 400MHz/832MB/60GB
AlBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1.5GB/60GB
Athlon 64 3500+/Asus A8N-SLI Premium/2GB RAM/990GB HD/GF7800GT 512

ThaShef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2003, 11:27 AM

I have the same problem, but if you play around with it, it seems to work after a while.

This is what I do.

Go to Newtork Preferences - > Airport
Change the IPv4 to Manually instead of 'Using DHCP' and then hit apply now and then wait for a like 10 secs or so and then switch it back to 'Using DHCP' it seems to work for me...give it a try

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2003, 12:32 PM

I've seen this too on AirPort Extreme Macs. It is a constant nuisance. It was actually also a problem in 10.2.6 and above (don't know about earlier).

This is not a problem on any Mac with the older AirPort. Only AirPort Extreme.

My BaseStation is an Airport Extreme Base with firmware 5.2 and all the Macs running 10.3.1 with the latest Airport drivers.

No problem on the eMac and iBook (both AirPort 802.11b)
Constant problems on the 12" PB and 17" PB (both AirPort Extreme 802.11g)

I also use the trick described above to fix this problem. swithch to Manual>apply>switch to DHCP>apply)

See this thread:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...rt#post1555061
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

MickS
Senior User
Nov 25, 2003, 08:59 AM

I'm using a 17" PB connecting to an original Airport base station (802.11b). I found that with 'Use Interference Robustness' enabled performance is about on par with my old TiBook (i.e. it's bad). Also since the upgrade to Panther the signal strength shows as less than it did under Jaguar. Whether this is because it's broken in Panther or was broken in Jaguar I don't know. There is a definite difference between the two though.

Evinyatar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2003, 09:46 AM

I've tried renewing the DHCP lease about 15 times to no avail. I also tried some tips Google brought up involving setting the MTU to 1500 but that didn't help either.
It's not just an AirPort Extreme problem though, as I have the old (802.11b) AirPort card in my TiBook, and I'm not sure what kind of Wifi router they're using at my school but it's definitely not an AirPort BS (I think it's a LinkSys, but I'm not too certain). I'd hate to go to System Management to ask for help, since they're already quite sceptic about having my Mac on their precious Windows only network, and they'll probably just mock me anyways
PowerMac G4 400MHz/832MB/60GB
AlBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1.5GB/60GB
Athlon 64 3500+/Asus A8N-SLI Premium/2GB RAM/990GB HD/GF7800GT 512

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2003, 01:27 PM

Guess we'll just have to hope this problem will be fixed in 10.3.2
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules