Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Wedding/Marriage advise

Wedding/Marriage advise
mrs b^3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2003, 05:38 PM

Today is Wednesday, the wedding is on Saturday. Three sleeps to go.
I think we've go everything under control, but I was wondering if there's any advise that you folk could offer, seeing as many of you seem to have done this before.
Thanks
(almost) mrs b^3
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

andi*pandi
Nov 25, 2003, 05:46 PM

get lots of sleep before the big day. Looking rested is the best makeup.

No one will bitch if you run out of programs, so don't stress at the last minute folding them.

keep the margaritas away from your matron of honor, they turn her into a raging bitch.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2003, 06:04 PM

If you can get cheap walkie-talkies for your bridesmaids and groomsmen, get them. Refer to them as "Agents" on your wedding day, tasked chiefly with keeping the bride and groom out of each other's sight until the ceremony. This is absolutely useless from any kind of practical standpoint, but they'll have a blast, which will take some of the edge off.

You WILL be psycho on The Big Day. So will the groom. Make sure that everything on the wedding day (except the ceremony itself, of course) can be handled by the wedding party, rather than you and the groom personally. Anything that can't, get done beforehand, because you will be in no condition to do it before the ceremony.

I would have some extra advice for your groom, but I don't see him here, and it's not the sort of thing I should tell you beforehand (no, this is not wedding-night advice or anything along that vein). Ca$h knows what I'm talking about. The groom can PM me if he wants to know.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

boots
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2003, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
keep the margaritas away from your matron of honor, they turn her into a raging bitch.
You ain't just whistling Dixie there.

Remember that stupid sh*t is going to happen. In love, as in war, the best laid plans mean nothing once the festivities start.

Roll with it. Have a good time.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2003, 06:09 PM

get really drunk

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2003, 06:11 PM

oops, deleted the quoted reference to boots

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2003, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by boots:

Roll with it. Have a good time.

andi*pandi
Nov 25, 2003, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by boots:
You ain't just whistling Dixie there.
You've met Eleena then?

another thought for you too: have checks for all your vendors already made out in the best man's pocket. Refer them all to the best man. Otherwise, you'll have the hairdresser bugging you for a check as you walk down the aisle.

I would say give them to the MOH, but would you trust that alcoholic with money?

hayesk
Nov 25, 2003, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
If you can get cheap walkie-talkies for your bridesmaids and groomsmen, get them. Refer to them as "Agents" on your wedding day, tasked chiefly with keeping the bride and groom out of each other's sight until the ceremony. This is absolutely useless from any kind of practical standpoint, but they'll have a blast, which will take some of the edge off.
Damn. I wish I thought of that. That would have been fun.

boots
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2003, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
You've met Eleena then?
Her evil twin Michelle.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

winwintoo
Nov 25, 2003, 06:58 PM

When your best friend disappears from the table selling the drink tickets and another "friend" steps in and takes over this wretched duty, don't treat her like a servant - remember that she was an invited guest and now she's stuck dealing with all your other drunk friends and relatives while the person that you gave the token of appreciation to is off dancing and enjoying herself.

Selling drink tickets seems like a nothing sort of task, but your invited guest resent having to pay for drinks and they take it out on whoever is stuck selling the damn tickets.

I got caught in this and the groom came around ever 15 minutes and wanted all the money and he kept complaining that I wasn't selling enough drinks. He made it plain that he thought I was pocketing the money, and he wouldn't let me count it or keep track of how much I had given him.

I knew the whole wedding was a money making deal for them, so I wasn't surprised when they returned my gift to the store and got the money. I bet they were surprised when it was only worth 12 bucks and it was on sale - final sale at that

After they sent me the email "thank you card", I've never seen them again- and I really don't miss having them in my life

m

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 07:30 PM

Don't.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

euchomai
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 08:09 PM

save yourself for the day of the wedding... no nekked stuff, you can wait

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2003, 09:05 PM

There's one piece of advice I've been telling people since 1992, and 100% of the people I say it to tell me I'm right:

Enjoy the day. It goes by fast. VERY fast.

A year to plan, gone in 4 hours. ENJOY IT.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

wifedoer68
Banned
Nov 25, 2003, 11:13 PM

Learn to spell 'advice' before you get married... you'll make a better partner that way.

Anyway, our wedding ceremony was over in about oh... 8 minutes. The reception lasted about 3 hours, and it was a lot of fun. G'luck, and don't freak out about anything, just sorta roll with the punches, and go with the flow.

- Rob

malson
Senior User
Nov 26, 2003, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by starman:
There's one piece of advice I've been telling people since 1992, and 100% of the people I say it to tell me I'm right:

Mike
Ditto. This is exactly what is going to happen. Also, don't get so caught up in the details and family that you forget why you're getting married in the first place! Enjoy it and have fun no matter what happens.
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

talisker
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by winwintoo:
When your best friend disappears from the table selling the drink tickets and another "friend" steps in and takes over this wretched duty, don't treat her like a servant - remember that she was an invited guest and now she's stuck dealing with all your other drunk friends and relatives while the person that you gave the token of appreciation to is off dancing and enjoying herself.

Selling drink tickets seems like a nothing sort of task, but your invited guest resent having to pay for drinks and they take it out on whoever is stuck selling the damn tickets.

I got caught in this and the groom came around ever 15 minutes and wanted all the money and he kept complaining that I wasn't selling enough drinks. He made it plain that he thought I was pocketing the money, and he wouldn't let me count it or keep track of how much I had given him.

I knew the whole wedding was a money making deal for them, so I wasn't surprised when they returned my gift to the store and got the money. I bet they were surprised when it was only worth 12 bucks and it was on sale - final sale at that

After they sent me the email "thank you card", I've never seen them again- and I really don't miss having them in my life

m
What the heck's this "drink ticket" nonsense? American weddings sound stranger and stranger the more I hear about them. Any wedding I've been to involves a drinks reception and wine with the meal, none of which the guests pay for, and then hours of partying afterwards, during which the guests buy drinks from the bar.

talisker
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 02:14 AM

Mike
Oh yeah, I second that too. It definitely goes ridiculously fast. But 4 hours! More American wedding nonsense. Any decent Scottish wedding is at least 12 hours from ceremony to end of party.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2003, 02:31 AM

Well exactly. We're getting married next year. We're planning to have the ceremony just after lunch and I suspect, judging from past experience, that the last guests will make it home some 24 hours later.

And of course we'll pay for the drinks.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Nov 26, 2003, 04:36 AM

Originally posted by nredman:
get really drunk
No, don't.

Your wedding is the biggest, most expensive day of your life and you don't want to be unable to remember it.

Mike
Those are wise words, and ones that I lived by when I got married six months ago.

My wife insisted on hiring a videographer for the wedding; I was dubious beforehand but very glad that we did. The day does indeed go very fast, and it's nice to be now able to relive it and see things that you missed.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 06:33 AM

Remember the day is all about HER. Let family annoyances and other things that may not go quite right slide and concentrate on keeping her happy. That's all that really matters.

Good luck and congratulations!
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

suprz's ghost
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2003, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
Don't.

heed the warning...
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"...Albert Einstein

winwintoo
Nov 26, 2003, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by talisker:
What the heck's this "drink ticket" nonsense? American weddings sound stranger and stranger the more I hear about them. Any wedding I've been to involves a drinks reception and wine with the meal, none of which the guests pay for, and then hours of partying afterwards, during which the guests buy drinks from the bar.
Actually in Canada....

Weddings get way too expensive, so *some* people sell drinks at the reception.

The couple I was referring to kept complaining that they weren't making enough at the wedding (from gifts and drink sales) to pay all the expenses of the wedding. They moaned that they would be lucky to "break even" on the whole deal - in other words, they expected their friends and relatives to pay for the whole elaborate deal.

I don't know what their relatives think of them, but I know they have very few friends left

m

Kilbey
Baninated
Nov 26, 2003, 10:58 AM

I have never heard of "drink tickets". I have heard of the "dollar dance", but I think that is an asinine idea also. Paying a buck to have a shot of liquor and to dance with the bride/groom. We just set up a table with shots and let who ever wanted to dance with us dance. No money. VERY tacky.

My wedding lasted from 1pm to 3 am. I think. It seemed about 30 minutes long. I only had a half a glass of wine with my meal and am very glad. It seemed childish to get drunk.

My "advise": Every 30-60 minutes stop and just look around for a minute. Drink in the atmosphere and remember the moment.

Don't spend too much time with the friends you see every day. Talk to "old Aunt Betty from your mom's father's side of the family". Make her feel welcome. Your friends will take care of themselves, your family needs the attention more on this day.

And also have someone go around with a video camera and just observe. They don't need to talk to people or "interview" anyone. And make sure they try to get everyone.

There will be an incident. Address it quickly, then hand off the responsibility to your best man, that is what he is there for. Then forget about it.

Enjoy.

People still talk about our wedding from 6 years ago. Everyone says it was the best wedding they have ever been to. We had the ceremony in Elk Rapids, Michigan and the reception was at the Timberlee resort in Leelenau, Michigan, on the Leelenau Peninsula. (you may have heard of Leelenau wineries before, some of the best in the world). We had a very good caterer and an excellent chef who was very responsive to our needs and came out, wished us well and thanked us personally.

palmberg
Senior User
Nov 26, 2003, 11:15 AM

Get the best bottle of Champagne you can afford and have it chilling in the limo/carriage/rickshaw/whatever you're leaving the ceremony in. That ride to the reception (or wherever) after the ceremony is probably going to be the first time you get to just sit and relax with your betrothed. Cherish that moment, no matter what you do; it's a magical one.

Good luck to you! And enjoy! This will be the fastest day of your life.

</married last Sept.>
I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its words can affect me.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2003, 11:18 AM

Wedding advice...

At this point, the only thing I can say is relax and go with the flow. Most brides panic the day of (and the months before) to make everything "perfect" - but, trust me on this, nobody will notice if one of the candles in one of the centerpieces is shorter than all of the others.

Marriage advice...

Be nice.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

:XI:
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 01:02 PM

Ok, i don't have any advice, I just sort of met someone i really like and now I'm quite happy reading threads about marriage advice!
Holy s***!

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2003, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by :XI::
Ok, i don't have any advice, I just sort of met someone i really like and now I'm quite happy reading threads about marriage advice!
Holy s***!

I know what you mean... I went to a wedding 2 weeks ago (my cousin's) and my girlfriend and I are starting to discuss getting married more and more. We started looking at engagement rings, trying to find a nice design. Scary!

Kilbey
Baninated
Nov 29, 2003, 02:14 PM

Well mrs b^3, How did the big day go?

Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by :XI::
Holy s***!

My GOD! Did I say that?

It was up. Now is a down. Kill me now.*

*Not really, tomorrow might be an up.

f***.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2003, 08:29 PM

Get a clue up front - *all* men are going to cheat sooner or later. Save yourself a world of trouble and dump him now.

Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by danbrew:
Get a clue up front - *all* men are going to cheat sooner or later. Save yourself a world of trouble and dump him now.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2003, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by danbrew:
Speak for yourself.

There are things which make me angrier than blanket sexist remarks -particularly ones which advocate the complete rejection or elimination of a gender in general- but not many. Let's hear where this is coming from.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules