Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Should I install Panther ?

Should I install Panther ?
poison
Nov 26, 2003, 03:50 AM

What do you say? I use my mac for everything ... mp3/video/graphics/audio .. .just everything ... Will my apps (reason,photoshop,illustrator..) work in Panther? Can i just upgrade? because it takes long to backup 9gig of mp3. I dont want to lose files. Any problems here ?

poison

Carnage Visors
Nov 26, 2003, 03:53 AM

I have had no issues, I had to re authorise reason 2 after I installed panther, but other than that no worries.

Benjamin
I saw two shooting stars last night,
I wished on them, but they were only satilites,
its wrong to wish on space hardware,
I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care.

Billy Bragg -- New England.

Cipher13
Nov 26, 2003, 03:57 AM

After installing Panther on my iBook, I decided against installing it on the other machines just yet.

I don't like it. The Finder is horrible.

Just my opinion.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Nov 26, 2003, 04:39 AM

I would say go for it. As long as you leave FileVault off, I think you'll find it well worth it. Personally, I think it's the best version of X yet. The speed and refinements are well worth the upgrade price.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 04:42 AM

I don't think the Finder changes are enough of a reason to not install it, whether you like the new Finder or not. The other improvements make it worthwhile, though that doesn't mean it's worth paying for. That last is up to you.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2003, 05:08 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
After installing Panther on my iBook, I decided against installing it on the other machines just yet.

I don't like it. The Finder is horrible.

Just my opinion.
I love the new look of the Finder! Ain't perfect but a heck of a lot better than the 10.0-10.2 Finder IMO. Networking is a mess in 10.3 so far (esp VPN) but other than that 10.3 is a OK.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2003, 07:34 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
I love the new look of the Finder! Ain't perfect but a heck of a lot better than the 10.0-10.2 Finder IMO. Networking is a mess in 10.3 so far (esp VPN) but other than that 10.3 is a OK.
Seconded.

The Finder and Expos� alone are worth the price and hassle of upgrading.

-s*

vharris528
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2003, 08:58 AM

I've upgraded to panther on my G4 Powerbook and my G4 Powermac and have mixed reviews. The upgrade on the powerbook have worked great, but the upgrade to the powermac has had all types of printing issues. On the powermac, I went to printing in color only and then I upgraded to 10.3.1, printing stopped working completely. On the powerbook, printing works flawlessly in black and white and color using the same printer that I used on the power mac. (hp 1160cp)

I've reinstalled the driver software and still printing doesn't work. I've reinstalled the OS and still no luck. I'm hoping that 10.3.2 will fix the problem.

bbales
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 10:35 AM

It was interesting to see this post, b/c I was about to ask the same question! I have my shiny new copy of Panther -- it came yesterday -- but I'm seriously wondering whether I should even isntall it. I'm mostly concerned about the FW issues, as I have two 400 drives (CMS and an OWC) hooked to my 400 MZ G4.

Why not do FireVault? I know that's another issue, but I'm truly not up to speed on what Panther will do. And I'm worried about printing too. I have an Epson C82 -- seems pretty mainline, so I'm thinking it should work...

Still can't decide. I'm cooking the turkey and I don't have time for a computer meltdown.

bens1901
Nov 26, 2003, 03:07 PM

Why not do FireVault?
I'm assuming that when you wrote "FireVault" you meant "FileVault."

I don't use FileVault, but I've heard that some people have lost their files due to it. Rumor has it that your files will just vanish, or you can't get into 'em. Again, I don't use it, and so I can't speak from experience, but those are the things I've heard.

Overall, I'm very pleased with Panther. My DreamWeaverMX and PS7 have been much faster since the upgrade.

I'd recommend Panther.

bbales
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 09:48 PM

FireVault, FileVault -- what's a consonant among friends?

Glad to hear you recommend it. I'm going the Panther route, eventually. It's sitting in a corner of the room, ready to pounce, when I have time to install it and play around with it.
And that's defnitely not this weekend.

Forum Links
Forum Rules