Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Use laptp on your lap?

Use laptp on your lap?
TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2003, 05:56 PM

Just got my first Mac, which is also my first laptop. I read something somewhere in the manual about using the laptop on a hard, stable surface so as not to damage the (spinning) disks.

So, can you use your laptop on your lap? How much movement (I think the manual uses the word, "jostling") is okay?

Strange question, I suppose, but I want to be safe!

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2003, 05:57 PM

You can use it on your lap, but no sudden, sharp movements, especially while the hard drive is spinning. Don't shake it, drop it, keep it tilted at an odd angle, and you're all set.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2003, 06:32 PM

I've never had a problem with using my PowerBook on my lap. Even the legendary amounts of heat PowerBooks are supposed to put out hasn't been a problem with lap use for me.

YMMV, but I'd say as long as you're not bouncing the PowerBook on your knee, trying to use it while going down a bumpy road, or something similar, you should be ok.

The main hazard of using a PowerBook, or any laptop for that matter, on your lap is the danger that it could slide off and crash to the floor. For this reason, a stable surface is always a good idea. If you need to use your PB on your lap, just be careful not to let it slide off.

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2003, 01:40 AM

Use 17" PB on my lap sometimes. Can move around a bit without any problems.

Only thing is sometimes it gets uncomfortably hot on the bottom, depending on the tasks you are doing and whether or not the battery has been used or charging which adds to the heat. Which I guess also depends on the weather and what clothes you are wearing.

Alezone
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2003, 01:44 AM

i have it on my lap 80% of the time I'm using it.... the little heat doesn't bother me at all, and if it's getting a bit hotter, i'll just put a binder under the laptop.

I've been using it like this since my G3 PB... more than 3 years.

G3 PB -> Ice iBook -> current 15 TiPB

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2003, 01:57 AM

Me too. 17" rev b is on my lap 99% of the time. It's for home use and I like to be comfortable in a nice easy chair or on the couch. I spend too much time at my desk at the office. This is why they invented Airport.

kanker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2003, 04:54 AM

My 12" PB is sitting on my lap right now, and this post will be sent through the ether to my AEBS and out onto the world, and I'm as happy as a geek can be.

MickS
Senior User
Dec 1, 2003, 06:13 AM

I too usually use my laptops on my lap. Nice comfy chair and wireless networking. Can't beat it.

I've been using Powerbooks on my lap for the last 6-7 years tilted them, held them one handed, all the things you aren't supposed to do and all four laptops are still working.

Ruffcat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2003, 07:14 AM

I use my laptop on my lap about 85% of the time - I find it much more comfortable and both the Ti book and its predecessor (an ibook) survived several years of such use unscathed. If the lap top starts getting a little warm, I just sit it on the arm of the chair.

I must admit I'm not kind to my laptops. I have wireless internet, so will often walk through the house and up and down stairs carrying the lap top as email unloads or if I'm trying to close out an auction in ebay. This is not recommended practice, but all's been well to date.

Generally only if I've a lot of writing to do will I move to the desk and connect to LCD monitor and wireless keyboard.

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2003, 10:25 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. That's kinda what I thought, but I thought I'd ask first. I have a AEBS set-up as well so the mobility in nice!

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2003, 10:29 AM

My new AlBook gets used on my lap most of the time, too ... as did the iBook that preceded it. No problems at all ... I'm sure all contemporary laptops are designed with that use in mind.

As for the heat thing, I have no complaints at all ... quite the reverse, in fact. If I'm wearing shorts, the PB's aluminum skin is freezing until the thing's been on for a few minutes!

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2003, 11:58 AM

I have owned all kinds of laptops for many years and none have ever been a problem while using it on my lap titled or the like.

After I owned my first apple laptop I have never looked back. I think the best combo is a PC desktop and an Apple laptop.

Their powerbooks are top notch machines and always on the cutting edge of technology.

Congrats on your first mac, they are very easy to use once you get used to them and most people find they spend allot less time messing with settings and compatibility issues as opposed to a PC.
Force

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2003, 07:28 PM

I use my 15" AL PB on my lap almost all the time. And now that it is winter, when it does heat up, it is a nice lap/hand warmer.

-b

jamester
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2003, 09:13 PM

I've had an iBook the past few months that I used almost exclusively on my lap, and now that I've got a powerbook (tomorrow marks 1 week, whee!) I do the same with it. It's generally tilted, too - not a severe tilt, but maybe 20 degrees or so. Works just fine, and I love this book. =)
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

Mobile Mod
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2003, 11:58 PM

I use my 17 on my lap almost half the time. I even take this baby on road trips and it is on the entire time the car is going up and down and I still havent had any HD problems **knock on wood**. I mean, laptops are sensitive, but some people just make them out to be a little too sensitive.

I think most people are right when they say that the reason that they advise you to use your laptop on a hard and sturdy surface is for two main reasons, 1) the hard surface will let heat go away from the book evenly and 2) it is less likely to fall off, say a table, than your lap. But hey, its your laptop, have fun and do what you want!

Justin
AlPB 15" Rev. C (1.5GHz) | 30GB 5G Apple iPod Video | SE S710a

Apple Certified Portable Technician, Apple Certified Desktop Technician, Apple Certified Help Desk Agent

Forum Links
Forum Rules