Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac brightness different at bottom of screen

iMac brightness different at bottom of screen
equinox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2003, 09:34 AM

Hello,

i recently noticed a difference of the brightness at the bottom of the screen on my iMac G4 17". The more i move an item like an icon to the bottom of the screen the brighter the colors get. It is not that much, but noticeable.
Does someone have the same strangeness?
Thanks

HeyMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2003, 03:00 PM

You're not alone. When I have a continuous tone on the screen, it looks like a gradient with the bottom appearing to be about 75%. When doing graphics work, this makes the screen practically useless because you're never quite sure which area is accurate. Eventually, I'll buy a midrange CRT and use the flat panel as a snack tray.

equinox  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2003, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by HeyMac:
You're not alone. When I have a continuous tone on the screen, it looks like a gradient with the bottom appearing to be about 75%. When doing graphics work, this makes the screen practically useless because you're never quite sure which area is accurate. Eventually, I'll buy a midrange CRT and use the flat panel as a snack tray.
Thanks for your reply. This keeps me from complaining at Apple-Support...

equinox

MoontaMacman
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 07:13 PM

If you are getting variable lighting on LCD display look at your small power light in the frame of the display - is it steady or pulsing ?- if it is pulsing try to work out its pattern - it will be a repeated series of long and short flashes - bit like morse code

Some time ago I bought the 17" LCD monitor (not iMac) and it had a strong variation in illumination for the simple reason that the backlight "globes" had failed - in my case at the bottom of the screen- giving a fault similar to the one you describe.
Once I deciphered the pattern I was impressed to learn that the LCD has a fault diagnosis built into it that lets the user/ tech know the problem -- got to give it to Apple they design nice gear, even if it does fail occasionally - we (our bodies) should be as reliable as Macs!!!javascript:smilie('')

Ron
http://home.iprimus.com.au/alenka_ron

Forum Links
Forum Rules