Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Have the cash but.....

Have the cash but.....
Tildenw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 03:50 PM

I have been reading about the ibook g4 since they came out, and have been looking in this forum about the same amount of time. Now today i was going to buy a ibook g4 from compusa here in Alabama, but now they are out of stock. I have the $ but can't find one, well i have found one but it is 3 hours away. AND I WANT ONE NOW!!!!
I take it this is how some of you felt waiting for APPLE to ship yours to you. Well maybe on monday i will have my first Mac, i just don't want to wait
You can't fix stupid!

ibook g4 933

nickgold2012
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 05:09 PM

As much as it's a pain, it's WORTH the wait -- you will not be sorry! The week or so I waited for my BTO 12" iBook G4 to come over from Taiwan was AGONY. But in the end it was soooo worth it.
My opinions are my own, and not those of anybody else, including my employer.

gonadman
Dec 4, 2003, 05:14 PM

Suspense is half the fun! At least you know that all that waiting will be worth it, and once you get your hands on that iBook you won't ever ever have to let go!

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 10:16 PM

Check www.macprices.com
You can get it somewhere without having to pay sales tax, and you'll get some freebies (RAM, printer, etc). Use the money you saved to get expedited shipping!

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2003, 10:28 PM

Yea, when I got the money I just went down to the Apple Store and picked it up. Felt odd to buy one item (well two if you count the Airport Extreme) and pay so much. I was at the register and he said "that will be one thousand something dollars" I don't really remember the exact total, but it was interesting that he use the word "thousand" made me hesitate to pull out my card.
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

Tildenw  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 10:55 PM

Well i gave up credit cards 2 years ago, so when i pay for the ibook it will be cash. To me that is alot hard then telling them to put it on the card.
You can't fix stupid!

ibook g4 933

zepkin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 11:40 PM

I would highly recommend ordering from Apple and waiting it out. You should pay the extra 50 bucks to have the internal bluetooth module installed. If you don't, you may end up regretting it later. Internal bluetooth rules. Even if you don't use bluetooth currently, it is very, very nice to have it installed internally.

The other thing you will probably want to do is bump the HD up to 60 gigs. The price to do so is relatively small. WIth music and pictures on a computer, 30 gigs doesn't go very far.

okm51
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2003, 12:10 AM

I am really struggling with deciding between the iBook G4 800 and the 933. My concern is speed rather than portability or screen size. I have read that the 67 MHz difference between the 933 and the 1 GHz is not worth the extra money. How about the 800 vs. the 933? Thanks!

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 5, 2003, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by zepkin:
I would highly recommend ordering from Apple and waiting it out. You should pay the extra 50 bucks to have the internal bluetooth module installed. If you don't, you may end up regretting it later. Internal bluetooth rules. Even if you don't use bluetooth currently, it is very, very nice to have it installed internally.

The other thing you will probably want to do is bump the HD up to 60 gigs. The price to do so is relatively small. WIth music and pictures on a computer, 30 gigs doesn't go very far.
I agree with the bluetooth. That's one of the main reasons I just got an iBook G4. Having Bluetooth built-in is so much nicer than that stupid dongle.

I went for the 40 GB HD instead of 30. I decided not to upgrade to the 60 simply because I have several hundred GB on my desktop machine and my iBook is my on-the-go computer. If your iBook will be your only computer, go for the 60.

CaNdeSiGn
Dec 5, 2003, 12:46 AM

Tildenw: it's worth the wait! especially if you want bluetooth BTO. I just love a wireless mouse with a laptop... only way to go.

Okm51: depending on what your doing with your ibook, and reasons for speed... I personally don't think 133mhz makes much difference. I would put the money saved buying an 800mhz into extra ram, or bluetooth, or larger HD.... or maybe even airport if you need it... but again... you said your main concern was speed, so what the hell... go 1ghz!! Either one, you wont be disappointed.

wildcard
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2003, 02:07 AM

Tildenw...you should have email

Forum Links
Forum Rules