Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Rattling New iPod 40gb.

Rattling New iPod 40gb.
THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2003, 03:05 PM

OK... I have a brand new 40gb iPod (as of the last 2 weeks). Just last night I was removing it gently from my laptop case to my cradle so I could sync it. I then heard what sounded like a loose pebble rattling around inside of the iPod. In disbelief, I gently shook it side to side to make sure it was the iPod. Yes. Now, nothing seems to be wrong with it in the sense that everything works, but I just paid on the edge of $500 and have a rattling iPod. The 30gb I had before did not have this problem at all. Anyone else have this problem? Since nothing seems to be wrong, would Apple even look at it? Plus, I'm afraid to send it in since they would probably bend it all up and scratch it. Wtf is going on.

EDIT: Also, it is not like I mistreat my iPod. I haven't actually held it uncovered in my hands. When I first took it out, I pulled off the covering and without touching the iPod directly, slid it into my Speck Flipstand. Since then it has been inside its hard plastic confines, so there is no reason why something should be loose. Never dropped it or anything... not even an inch.
( Last edited by THE MAC GOD; Dec 4, 2003 at 03:10 PM. )

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

shadowofleaves
Dec 4, 2003, 04:47 PM

its normal...relax

Krypton
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 04:55 PM

What you're hearing is part of the hard drive - nothing to worry about, as already mentioned.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 10:21 PM

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2003, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the replies... at least nothings f'ed up yet...

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

macman247
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2003, 05:04 PM

2.5" laptop hard drives rattle when powered off as well. It has to do with the way the read/write head is parked. The enclosure is so small that it's mechanism is different than standard sized drives. I've torn apart many 3.5" hard drives in my lifetime. Fun stuff... (I'm eagerly awaithing my own 40 GB iPod)

Forum Links
Forum Rules