Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Losing my mind with date and time defaulting to 1969 with each restart.

Losing my mind with date and time defaulting to 1969 with each restart.
oldtimer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2003, 08:55 AM

After a resent update on my Quicksilver 867 (OSX 10.2.8) my computer started defaulting to 12/31/1969. I love the year but I do really need to keep my date current.

I ran the disk utility, zapped the pram, hit the reset button. The battery is fairly new and checks out 100% okay on a voltmeter.

Anyone have any idea of anything else I might try?

THANKS!!!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2003, 09:04 AM

Are you using one of Apple's network time servers? System Prefs>Date and Time>checkbox: Set Date and Time automatically...

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2003, 10:14 AM

I know you checked on a voltmeter, but try changing the battery. They're not that expensive.

oldtimer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2003, 10:48 AM

I just cheched that box (System Prefs>Date and Time>checkbox: Set Date and Time automatically...) and will ty it but why did the time always work properly when I didn't use this featute and why would it work now?

Is this somethng that needs to be done with the updated software?

I'll change out the batery but I doubt it's that.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2003, 11:33 AM

It's the battery.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

oldtimer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2003, 12:31 PM

I just reset the clock (time automatically) on the network from APPLE, shut down for an hour and all seems fine for now. I'll see when I shut down overnight tonight.

Will checkack in the morn. Thanks for now!

macman247
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2003, 04:15 PM

It is important that your computer keeps the correct date and time (and thus the power management unit functioning correctly) by itself when its not powered on (when there is no network available). If the time keeps resetting, try these steps in this order:

-Disconnect the power from the back of your computer.

-Measure the voltage of the battery in the holder.

-Verify that the battery is between 3.3 and 3.7 volts DC. (It it's out of that range, remove the battery, wait 10 seconds, replace the battery, and continue with the rest of the steps)

-Press the PMU reset switch once (on some logic boards, there are 2 buttons, the one closest the the battery is the PMU reset, pressing it more than once, or pressing it longer than a second can crash the PMU and/or shorten the life of the internal battery from years to days)

-Wait 10 seconds, plug in the computer, and boot (if it does boot right away, their may be further problems with your logic board)

-Reset your date and time!

-Keep your computer plugged in (preferably into a surge strip) even when it is powered off. There is no need to unplug your computer every time it's off.

I would also suggest running the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with your computer if you can find it. (it tends to find expensive errors)

FYI, the PMU chip is powered by the internal battery and tells the computer when to turn on, turn off, sleep, wake, idle, manages system resets, maintains the parameter RAM, and real-time clock. It's basically a computer within a computer as it contains a couple oscillator crystals, a CPU, memory, hardware, software, firmware, and is very fragile.

What is the date on your battery? Every one off an Apple logic board i've seen has a code similar to JAN-00. We replace batteries all the time for various reasons, most are over 3 years old. Hope this helps!

oldtimer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2003, 01:48 PM

macman247, You are the Man!!!

I followed all of your instructions and I now am a happy camper! You made my day! It must have been a combination of battery an something jamming up in juice.

Thanks an have a great day!

PS
If you have a moment and can take a look at this post: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=177229
your help would be much appreciated, can this also be my video card? I have the NVDA,GeForce4MX?
( Last edited by oldtimer; Dec 17, 2003 at 11:20 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules