Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMacs next month?

New iMacs next month?
JHromadka
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 06:06 PM

I saw this Register article and am now trying to decide if my Dad should buy an iMac 20" when I visit home over Christmas or wait until January to see if anything new comes out. I can't tell from the article if this is internal material or if the exterior of the iMac will change as well.

Thoughts?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2003, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
I saw this Register article and am now trying to decide if my Dad should buy an iMac 20" when I visit home over Christmas or wait until January to see if anything new comes out. I can't tell from the article if this is internal material or if the exterior of the iMac will change as well.

Thoughts?

i don't buy it...would be cool though.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2003, 07:13 PM

Since it is now almost certain that Apple will do a major upgrade to the PowerMac line (faster processors and motherboard) in Jan. it seems to me that they almost certainly will put out a G5 iMac in Jan. as well. The PowerMacs will all be dual processor so it seems a natural that you will choose duals for "pro" line and single processor iMac for "more consumer" line.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=320

rmendis
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2003, 06:08 AM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
it seems to me that they almost certainly will put out a G5 iMac in Jan. as well.
Isn't the G5 still too hot to be placed inside an iMac enclosure?
So it is unlikely that a G5 iMac could appear until the second rev G5s ship from IBM.
"Trust. Betrayal. Deception.
In the CIA nothing is what it seems"

- from the film "The Recruit"

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by mendis

Isn't the G5 still too hot to be placed inside an iMac enclosure?
So it is unlikely that a G5 iMac could appear until the second rev G5s ship from IBM.
Apple is supposed to be getting shipments of the second rev.G5 in January:

Originally posted by Appleinsider on Dec. 04

The processors will be ready for delivery to Apple sometime in the month of January, sources said.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 10:39 AM

Also, the link I gave above said the following:

Originally posted by Appleinsider on Dec. 11

IBM plans to deliver 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, and 2.6GHz versions of its 90-nanometer (nm) PowerPC 970FX G5 processor to Apple during the month of January.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2003, 11:21 AM

Here's the new lineup;

G4 eMac
G5 iBook
G6 iMac
G7 PowerBook
G8 PowerMac

That's gospel, according to www.ireallyknoweverythingthatsgoingonatapple.com
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2003, 07:32 PM

I didn't care if Apple ever put out a tablet until I found this app, and now I desperately want one.

mathew_m
Senior User
Dec 26, 2003, 12:12 AM

Honestly I find Apple's product matrix getting stale. The current ibook and powerbook 12" might as well be the same computer. The iMac is a prosumer machine at its price point yet is purposely crippled.

If I were Jobs I'd go all duals for the Powermac line, put a G5 in the iMac and just combine the PB 12" and ibook into 1 model. Heck I'd get rid of the ibook in favor of a tablet.

It makes sense: A lower powered, networkable computer thats durable. Have two models, a 12" and 15" with touchscreen displays. Include a 20GB or 40GB HD respectively, a couple of usb and firewire ports, slot load combo drive. Charge (not including a keyboard or mouse) $1095 and $1295 respectively. I think it would appeal to pro-users and consumers/educators alike. Lower the price of the current PB 12" to the current ibook levels for those who still need the practicallity of a laptop.

Let's face it Apple isn't going to gain any more market share so they need to get their core audience to buy more than one mac. I think a tablet could sneak in this way. If they make it untilitarian enough and Windows compatable (easy file sharing via a simple app) they might even cater some of the PC market like the iPod has.

Regarding the iMac:

Give the iMac a rear port for HD expansion and allow for up to 2GB of ram. This way you'll appease everyone who wants the form factor but doesn't need the extra horse power (and space needed) of the Powermac. The 20" display is great but it must have a G5!

Another thing I think you'll see at this upcoming Macworld is a smaller tower or headless iMac. Apple probably wants to ditch the G4 in it's pro-line so I think we'll see something for the low end. Possibly a 1.8 G5 in a cube like enclosure for $1095.

If the eMac is selling well I'd keep it but....
( Last edited by mathew_m; Dec 26, 2003 at 12:20 AM. )

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by mathew_m

Im assumming that Apple wants to completely get away from Motorola and would be willing to put a single processor G5 into a smaller, less expandable enclosure..
I agree. I really think we're going to see a G5 iMac a lot sooner than many people seem to think. If not at MWSF then announced some time before the end of January.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Dec 26, 2003, 07:49 PM

..lookin' grate

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2003, 12:09 AM

Wait. Don't buy. Wait. Until at least two weeks after MWSF. You can never regret waiting an extra two weeks. Something is coming. Price cuts, speed bumps, new design, something...

It is sad that the iMac is not at 2GHz. It is sad that there are no 2GHZ G4s or G3s this long after they were first introduced. Very sad.

Magnesium iMacs? Maybe on the inside... i think Apple will stick with the white plastic look for the consumer models.

Did I say wait? Yes. Wait.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Dec 27, 2003 at 12:14 AM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules