Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Refurbished Powerbooks from Apple Online Store

Refurbished Powerbooks from Apple Online Store
baeksoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 10:37 AM

What could be expected of the physical condition of refurbished Macs from the Apple Online Store? Would they be in more or less immaculate condition? Does anybody have experience with them?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2003, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by baeksoo:
What could be expected of the physical condition of refurbished Macs from the Apple Online Store? Would they be in more or less immaculate condition? Does anybody have experience with them?
the only refurb i have ever got was from smalldog.com and it was like new. i would think apple's refurbs would be pretty well like new as well.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

DMS Guy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 12:49 PM

I hope they're good....I just bought my 15" 1.25Ghz PB yesterday (refurbed). I'll be getting it in tomorrow, and I'll let ya know.

(Another switcher is born by the way...my first Mac)

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 12:52 PM

Ok, I have been struggling with whether or not to get a refurbished 15" Al SuperDrive PowerBook from the Apple online store for $2099. But with MacWorld only a few weeks away and after my calculations, I realize that the savings isn't that significant. With the Education discount and with AppleCare ($239-Educ. disc.) the 15" SuperDrive PB would cost...

Summary with Education Discount

� 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
� 512MB DDR333 SDRAM
� 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200 rpm
� SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
� Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS
� AirPort Extreme Card
� APP for PowerBook - ($239)
� 15.2-inch TFT Display
Subtotal $2,538.00

Compared to: PowerBook G4 Refurbished 1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/AP Extreme Card/GigE/15"TFT - Refurbished $2099 + $239 AppleCare = $2338.

A savings of $200. In my opinion, this is not enough to justify buying a refurbished product. Again, you might disagree, but that's just my opinion.

DMS Guy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 12:58 PM

For those of us who don't get edu discounts, it's well worth it.

s4iscool
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 01:05 PM

I would say operationally they are 100%. but condition wise I would doubt they are as good as new ones. I say this because the Al case never seems to be put together 100% after its initial factory assembly. The Apple techs never get the lcd's screens fitted like factory cause gaps around the base and screen when closed. The fitting of the base and the alum casing is neverf as seamless as it is from the factory. Sure there are some from the factory that are not perfect as well, so its probably not a big deal.
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 01:30 PM

I saved �450 and although the screen had the 'ripple' problem they fixed that in a week and my new screen also has no dead pixels. The lid hasn't been put back together perfectly but as I've saved so much money I'm not bothered. Other than that all I missed out on was the nice packaging. The PB had 1 tiny mark on the case but boy do you have to look to see it.

I'd use them again definitely.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Voch
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 01:58 PM

I'm VERY happy with my TiBook 667/DVI I bought refurbished way back in February. It was in perfect condition as far as I could tell and pretty much still is. I just bought AppleCare for it a month ago, too.

Voch

TampaDeveloper
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2003, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by baeksoo:
I just recently purchased a 700mhz ibook referbished, and it looks and functions like new so far (knock on wood).

Forum Links
Forum Rules