Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Am I a Theif??

Am I a Theif??
Zoom_zoom
Senior User
Dec 23, 2003, 01:02 AM

Okay, I just got back from doing some last min Christmas shopping for the family and this is my story..

So i am in BIG W, (it's a store like K-mart, WAL-Mart ect.)
I am not proud of it, but shopping needed to be done.

I brought the items and got in line to pay for the items, the price it should of come to was about 70 bucks.

But the kid (who didn't look a day past 12) forgot to scan a DVD, so the price only came to 44 bucks.

I Paid the 44 dollars, and left
(and the door scan thingies didn't even go off )

So my question is , Am I now a thief?

Should of I told him that he didn't scan the DVD?

Or should i remember I am a poor uni student and BIG W didn't employ me because kids under 18 are cheaper to hire?

- ZoOm ZoOm

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

Cipher13
Dec 23, 2003, 01:07 AM

Their fault, their problem. If it was a small family owned kind of store, I might've said something... but not Big W.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2003, 01:32 AM

exactly. they factor in loss and employee error in their accounting. free **** for you.

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 01:42 AM

ask your self this, at the end of the day how do you feel about it? There is the answer. ps, i am speaking from experience.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2003, 01:45 AM

Regardless, it's too late now. If you go back and come clean they might prosecute you for shoplifting. I say enjoy it. Karma, dude, karma.

boondock68
Banned
Dec 23, 2003, 02:12 AM

Big companies **** people over all the time. It's things like this that even it out.

BTW, what's a theif?

- Ca$h

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 02:24 AM

Nah you're definitely not a theif... I don't know what theif is though.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Dec 23, 2003, 02:33 AM

You know you didn't pay for it. The question you need to ask yourself is if your integrity is worth the price of that DVD?
Who'sDaMac?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2003, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Their fault, their problem. If it was a small family owned kind of store, I might've said something... but not Big W.
I really hate that argument.

Why is there a difference between the two? Why is it ok to treat a big store differently from a small one? Which school of morals did you study at?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2003, 02:46 AM

you're a thief. go back to the store with your receipt, point out the mistake, and pay for the DVD.

-r.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2003, 03:23 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
you're a thief. go back to the store with your receipt, point out the mistake, and pay for the DVD.

-r.
ditto.

Be that one-in-a-million person. It's worth the cost of a DVD.

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Dec 23, 2003, 03:38 AM

if you do go back and talk to the manager, willing he's a nice guy, he'll probably even give you a discount for your honesty or some sort of perk, if not you'll feel better. Myself, i wouldn't go back because i don't care that much, but you aren't me.

CaNdeSiGn
Dec 23, 2003, 04:16 AM

Even if you do go back, the point is, you made your decision in the heat of the moment. Depending on your moral standpoint (or in this case, simple law) you decided to steal. Yes, your a thief in the eyes of the law, regardless of what we all think.

It is no longer a question for you anymore, or something to think about in the future... "what would I do if I was ever in this scenario" well.... now you know... and sometimes we find out it isn't what we wanted to know about ourselves, but our actions define who we are.

So now your faced with another decision... and just by posting this, it seems you feel some guilt, and perhaps already made the choice to go pay for it.

On the other hand... I agree with Wataru... they may just pull some coporate crap and prosecute you for the hell of it... so find peace in yourself, but be smart about it. Take as a lesson learned... go donate that money to a greater cause.

A Single Second
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2003, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
I really hate that argument.

Why is there a difference between the two? Why is it ok to treat a big store differently from a small one? Which school of morals did you study at?
A realistic one. They're a major corporation; as it is, they're ripping us off. So what's the big deal if the customer gets some back for once? And hey, believe me, if they could rip us off anymore than they currently are, they would. They're a large national corporation owned by another megacorporation. $44, Big deal.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2003, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by A Single Second:
A realistic one. They're a major corporation; as it is, they're ripping us off. So what's the big deal if the customer gets some back for once? And hey, believe me, if they could rip us off anymore than they currently are, they would. They're a large national corporation owned by another megacorporation. $44, Big deal.
That is just total, utter bollocks. Sure, they're all out there to get you. You carry on believing that.

The truth is that for every loss a shop makes they have to raise prices somewhere else. Meaning every time you nick something, you're making me pay more.

A Single Second
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2003, 04:43 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
That is just total, utter bollocks. Sure, they're all out there to get you. You carry on believing that.

The truth is that for every loss a shop makes they have to raise prices somewhere else. Meaning every time you nick something, you're making me pay more.
I don't think you understand how the world of business "ethics" works. Heh.

Suuuure, they're out to help us, aren't they? Yeah. Right.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2003, 04:46 AM

Wha-hoo.

I presume you cheat your insurance, too, all the time?

Somebody, somewhere, is paying for that DVD. And it definitely ISN'T Mr. Wal-Mart-Who-Makes-the-Profit.

What you gotta realize is that it isn't just this one DVD: These kinds of mistakes happen thousands of times a day across the chain.

What do you think is more likely to happen: Wal-Mart accept loss of profit? Fat chance.

Just another couple of regular jobs get changed into sub-minimal wage jobs filled by illegal immigrants.

Either that, or prices are adjusted so that WE ALL pay for your dishonesty (which is how it works with insurances).

Do you keep extra change, too, if you're handed back too much? Know that a lot of stores have a policy where positive differences in the cash register go to the shop, and negative differences get paid out of the employee's check. His own damn fault? Possibly. But your dishonesty just helped royally mess up his day if you noticed him giving you a fifty instead of a twenty.

I'm in pre-morning-coffee-rambling-mode, so excuse my utter lack of eloquence.

What I'm saying is: Whenever one of these small "It's-a-megacorp" dishonesties are perpetrated, *somebody*, somewhere, foots the bill.

And bad karma always comes back to you in the end.

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2003, 04:49 AM

I don't think you understand how the world of business "ethics" works. Heh.

Suuuure, they're out to help us, aren't they? Yeah. Right.
You probably deserve to get royally ****ed over some time.

Business "ethics" means it's *always* carried out on someone's back, and it's *never* the big megacorp that suffers.

-s*

A Single Second
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2003, 04:57 AM

I hardly think "Karma" will be an issue. The way I figure it, the loss had already been compensated for. Either way - meh. Not my problem, in any respect, as it didn't happen to me.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 23, 2003, 05:00 AM

DO NOT return to the store. There is an excellent chance they will call the police, as required by company policy.

It's sad that one can't do the right thing any more, but it's too perilous to you.

tooki

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2003, 05:10 AM

The way I figure it, the loss had already been compensated for.
Yes, of course.

But by whom?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2003, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
DO NOT return to the store. There is an excellent chance they will call the police, as required by company policy.

It's sad that one can't do the right thing any more, but it's too perilous to you.

tooki
So let me get this straight. If:

1. Store employee screws up

and

2. Customer decides to be honest,

then

3. Store calls the cops on the CUSTOMER?

If so, this is a really screwed up world we live in...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

OreoCookie
Dec 23, 2003, 06:29 AM

Not a thief, but if you have noticed while being at the register, I would have said something. (Notice the "I".) It's not theft, but it wasn't alright either.

If I have noticed at home or so, I wouldn't bother going back to the store. Then, I would say things are fine.

It doesn't matter how big (or small) the shop is.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2003, 07:07 AM

If I had caught it in the store I would have let him know.. nuff said.. or toss it on a counter or hand it one of the 'door maids' on the way out or something.. I dunno

When I was little we went to this dinky store and I forgot to give the guy at the register a candy my dad let me buy.. I didn't realize it until we walked out and got so scared I threw it in the garbage outside the door

It's too late now, I think for ya. You can definately take it back if you wish, I mean after all you bought stuff and it 'slipped' with everything else.. if they looked back in their tapes they might notice this.. their cameras probably wouldn't have picked up you *noticing* and if that's the case.. well they can't really throw you in jail for it.

I still think it might be a bit late now :shrug: try if you can.. tell them you got home and realized it wasn't on the receipt and wanted to 1. clear your conscience, and 2. make sure the guy didn't lose his job over it.

If it had happened when you got home.. well what can I say?
Aloha

SomeToast
Senior User
Dec 23, 2003, 09:11 AM

At Target last summer I had gone in for contact lens solution and, as usual, left with a cart full of crap.

One of the things was a pair of cookie drying racks. The way the racks were packaged, they interlocked pretty tightly. I told the cashier that I had two there and to be sure to catch them both, but it seemed like he passed them together over the scanner once.

Walking away from the register, I looked at the receipt and sure enough, only one was listed. I went straight to customer service, pointed out the mistake and paid there. The people behind the counter seemed pretty surprised.

Yeah, it was only five bucks on a $90 tab, but it was an item I had selected to buy in the first place. It's not a Free Gift just because a cashier makes a mistake.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2003, 09:11 AM

For having such a bunch of self righteous politically correct types in here I am surprised how many of you don't think it is stealing. Of course it is.
You knew it at the time of payment that all the items being given to you were not accounted for. The moment you walked out with the merchandise you stole.

And that business about them HAVING to call the police is crap. There is a degree of discretion the store manager has. If you go in and explain you realized the item was not on the receipt yet you received it and want to pay for it they are not going to haul you in the back office and prosecute you. Being caught shoplifting is far different a situation than walking in to pay for merchandise that was given to you mistakenly by an employee.

If you feel bad enough to ask here if it was the right thing to do then you obviously feel bad. It sounds like you want to do the right thing and pay for it, so just do it.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2003, 10:28 AM

You have got to be kidding me about calling the police. I used to work in retail management, and if a customer came back advising we forgot to ring something up and they wanted to pay for it, I would definitely give them a discount and thank them for their honesty.

What is it with all of the people who think it's OK to just walk out with the merchandise? And what does the size of the company have to do with anything? We're talking about personal morals and values here. If you think you deserve to get something free from that mega-corporation because they screw everybody over, then DON'T shop there. You'll have a much bigger impact by selecting where you spend your $$.

A Single Second
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2003, 12:04 PM

If there was an attempt to conceal the goods, it's theft. If not, it's error.

I was away for a week just last week, and on a shopping trip, bought eight 2L bottles of Coke. They were at the bottom of the trolley. Told the cashier there were 8 of 'em, but she only scanned one. Maybe she forgot, maybe she couldn't be ****ed, whatever. Not my problem. Only realised when we left. I wasn't going back... not worth the effort.

Kilbey
Baninated
Dec 23, 2003, 12:32 PM

Yes. You are a thief.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2003, 12:44 PM

If there was an attempt to conceal the goods, it's theft. If not, it's error.

I was away for a week just last week, and on a shopping trip, bought eight 2L bottles of Coke. They were at the bottom of the trolley. Told the cashier there were 8 of 'em, but she only scanned one. Maybe she forgot, maybe she couldn't be ****ed, whatever. Not my problem. Only realised when we left. I wasn't going back... not worth the effort.
did you check the reciept? you sure you didnt get charged for all 8?

and what the hell is that four letter word?, i cant think of anything that would fit in that context.

dav
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 01:40 PM

knowingly leaving the store with merchandise not paid for is theft.
when you realized the item wasn't charged, your intent was to steal, and you did.
one post closer to five stars

Switched2Mac
Baninated
Dec 23, 2003, 01:50 PM

You have joined the ranks of the immoral.

You may as well as start stealing MP3's online now.

Repent.

Mail a money order payable to the store with no name on it and no return address. You will then have met your moral obligation and not have to worry about questions from the store. Include the proper sales tax too.

You can be clean again.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2003, 02:06 PM

I wouldnt call it theft really. It was their mistake. I would call it dishonesty on your part though, because you noticed before you left the store.

Chris

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 02:55 PM

If you drive back to that store, you waste gas, destroying the environment.
So thief or eco-hazard, choose your poison.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2003, 03:22 PM

If you knowingly walked out without paying, you are a thief.

Incompetent cashiers do not mean it is right to take something without paying.

There are crooks that deliberately try to confuse clerks while scanning so that things get missed on purpose. They are thieves.

If store security checked your bag and receipt and found it, exactly what would you say? "Oh, I thought it was free"?

As for the store calling the police on you if you walked back in and said, "You forgot to charge me for this?" That's why some people DON'T come back even though they know. It HAS happened.

What if the customer behind you noticed and decided to report you? Then what?

Truth is you did AND didn't do the right thing. So you are both a thief AND innocent at the same time. Neat, huh?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2003, 04:00 PM

Anonymously call up the store manager ask them what they'd like for you to do. They may just tell you not to worry about it.

BTW, I wouldn't call you a thief, but I do think your actions were morally questionable.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

quandarry
Dec 23, 2003, 05:04 PM

if you at anytime felt guilt you will know yourself if it was theft or not.

go back and pay the few bucks and you will feel better.

now if it were a few thousand dollars on a bigger pricetag...run!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2003, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
As for the store calling the police on you if you walked back in and said, "You forgot to charge me for this?" That's why some people DON'T come back even though they know. It HAS happened.

What if the customer behind you noticed and decided to report you? Then what?
Report you for what? The cashier screwed up. When I go to the store, I give the items to the cashier, let him/her ring it up, and pay the total. I usually have other things on my mind, and I don't need to do the cashier's job for him/her and make sure he/she is doing everything correctly. If the final price is obviously off, I'll check the receipt. And if I did walk out of the store, and then notice for some reason that there was a mistake on the receipt, I would go back and pay it. I've done this in the past, actually, and there's never any reaction that is not pleasant surprise. I doubt highly that the store would ever call the police on you for being honest. That just seems absurd.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2003, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Anonymously call up the store manager ask them what they'd like for you to do. They may just tell you not to worry about it.
This is a good solution.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2003, 06:07 PM

This sounds like a good idea if you're worried and want to be honest and pay for it. Personally, I'd keep it and not worry. The Universe will go on, and no one will ever care. Except people on the Interweb.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2003, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
The Universe will go on, and no one will ever care. Except people on the Interweb.
Uh, I think you mean intarweb.

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2003, 06:20 PM

BTW, I wouldn't call you a thief, but I do think your actions were morally questionable.
Well put...you should do something to pay them for that DVD.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2003, 07:13 PM

If you called the store, the manager would probably be surprised you called, say thanks, and tell you to keep it.

Be sure to call from a pay phone.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2003, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
Uh, I think you mean intarweb.
You, sir, are correct.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 08:08 PM

You became a thief the second you realized you didn't pay for the item.

Zoom_zoom  (op)
Senior User
Dec 23, 2003, 10:04 PM

Thank you all for your replies,
I have come to the decision that i don't believe i am a theif,
but indeed my morals a wrong, So I have decided to go into BIG W and buy a toy worth what i should of paid for the DVD and give it to a charity for christmas.

- ZOom ZoOm

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

euchomai
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by Zoom_zoom:
Thank you all for your replies,
I have come to the decision that i don't believe i am a theif,
but indeed my morals a wrong, So I have decided to go into BIG W and buy a toy worth what i should of paid for the DVD and give it to a charity for christmas.

- ZOom ZoOm
That almost works, good thinking though on the moral issue!

Montezuma58
Senior User
Dec 23, 2003, 10:54 PM

Or just mail it back to the store without a return address.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
If you called the store, the manager would probably be surprised you called, say thanks, and tell you to keep it.

Be sure to call from a pay phone.
Are you sure this line is safe?

*click cick clack*

Yes, just keep talking for 30 more seconds.

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2003, 11:24 PM

I'd usually be on the side of morals and such, but lately I wouldn't have cared. I think it's nice that you've come to your decision, and it's a fairly moral one. But I wouldn't have.
|wishing is for suckers|

Forum Links
Forum Rules