Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any fountain pen enthusiasts here?

Any fountain pen enthusiasts here?
Spliff
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 08:01 PM

I have an elys�e fountain pen with a fine tip. I'm thinking of getting a new one, maybe with a medium tip. Does anyone have any recommendations or general fountain pen tips?

Unfortunately, good fountain pens are really expensive, starting at $150 CDN.

Parker pens seem very popular. Waterman is another brand I see. In his recent blog, Neil Gaiman mentioned that he is writing his next novel with a Lamy 2000 fountain pen. I've never heard of Lamy, but it's a sweet looking pen.

Also, it seems hard to find ink in colors other than black or blue. I'm trying to find a nice antique brown, the kind you see on old manuscripts from the 1800s and earlier.

Spliff  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 08:11 PM

BTW, for those of you who have never used a nice fountain pen, you should definitely try it out. I get an aesthetic high from the scratching of a fountain pen nib on high quality paper.

It's not recommend to use someone else's fountain pen because the nibs are altered by use and they get "broken" in according to your writing style. In a sense, each fountain pen is customised or adapted to a single user.

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2003, 08:12 PM

I use a generic cheapie pen nib dipped in india ink to ink my drawings, but I've never really gotten into the expensive fountain pens. One reason being, that I lose my pens like crazy.

My dad has a nice mont blanc one though.. never tried writing with it though.
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 22, 2003, 08:29 PM

hmmmm ... fountain pens ... yummy!

If you prefer a contemporary style, check out the Rotring Series 600, a beautifully crafted pen and not too outrageously expensive ... should be about $70 US ... I have one and love it.

If you prefer a traditional style, check out the Pelikan's as well - they're quite expensive but very, very nice. And of course, as mentioned above - Mont Blanc's are beautiful, too. Lamy is a German company - mid-range pricing similar to Rotring - nice pens ...

Spliff  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by effgee:
hmmmm ... fountain pens ... yummy!

If you prefer a contemporary style, check out the Rotring Series 600, a beautifully crafted pen and not too outrageously expensive ... should be about $70 US ... I have one and love it.
The Rotring 600 is a really nice looking pen. I'll see if I can find someone in town that carries it.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2003, 10:13 PM

I've had, for many years, a couple of Namiki Vanishing Point pens. Really like 'em: they're like ballpoint pens in terms of convenience, but of course are much nicer to write with.

OreoCookie
Dec 22, 2003, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
I have an elys�e fountain pen with a fine tip. I'm thinking of getting a new one, maybe with a medium tip. Does anyone have any recommendations or general fountain pen tips?

Unfortunately, good fountain pens are really expensive, starting at $150 CDN.

Parker pens seem very popular. Waterman is another brand I see. In his recent blog, Neil Gaiman mentioned that he is writing his next novel with a Lamy 2000 fountain pen. I've never heard of Lamy, but it's a sweet looking pen.

Also, it seems hard to find ink in colors other than black or blue. I'm trying to find a nice antique brown, the kind you see on old manuscripts from the 1800s and earlier.
Looks sweet.
Lamy is a good company, I've had many. I usually had to buy a new one when I lost the old one (or as in the case my last one: got stolen ).

Once you get used to writing with them, you'll like it. I love it. I now have one by Cross though, an Xmas gift from my girlfriend
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Dec 22, 2003, 10:23 PM

The Rotring 600 is a really nice looking pen. I'll see if I can find someone in town that carries it.
The opposite of the Lamy, design wise. Corners. I love that one, too. It's much slimmer, too.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 23, 2003, 06:26 AM

Uuuuh, Spliff - I found you something !!

Check this out and you should be in "ink-heaven" eight different colors (brown being one of them). Got there via the German Pelikan site, Chartpak seems to be the Canadian reseller for Pelikan products. And in case you can't locate the Rotring, you might want to check out these two Pelikan pens:

The "Celebry" Series, a nice traditionally styled model - I like the black version
The "Technixx" Series, a bit more on the modern side but not as "extreme" in design as the Rotring Series 600

Have fun shopping and let us know which one you got

Cheers

(edit) *drool*, if I had money out the wazoo, I'd probably look at this one as well ... very traditional, veeery nice and most likely veeery expensive ...

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 08:59 AM

I currently use this one as I lost my really expensive Waterman . But anyway that Cross ATX is a huge piece of ****. The front where you put your fingers is rusting away ! And I really hate the custom ink cartridges. But now it's time for:

The Montblanc Classique Platinum. For Christmas maybe

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Dec 23, 2003, 09:15 AM

I have a Rotring 600-very nice.
But nothing can beat my Lamy Persona Black
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

euphras
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 01:55 PM

From the ROTRING 600 series i own the ballpoint writer and the automatical lead pencil with 0.5 mm mines caliber (unfortunately not the fountain pen).

A gift from my grandpa is an original 50s PELIKANO fountain pen, similar to this one:

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

dav
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 05:21 PM

i'm a fan of campo marzio roma sepia ink. nice antique brown, a bit runny.
one post closer to five stars

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2003, 09:52 PM

I've always stuck to Montblanc (sp?) pens, right now I'm quite fond of my Meisterstuck Classique. Good pen.

Ruffcat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2003, 10:16 PM

I have an elderly Mont Blanc Traveller fountain pen of which I'm very fond. It is a cartridge based model which comes in a case with room for spare cartridges - very handy as I don't have to worry about ink leaking on planes.

I also use an equally venerable black Parker Duofold fountain pen. This is probably my favorite as I find the nib very comfortable to write with. (I'm lucky as I don't seem to lose pens - touch wood - it's computer cables which are my downfall.)

Re inks - generally the standard colours from the pen manufacturers are quite dull (or at least the ones I find in the stores), but I like the range at Levenger.

Ruff

Forum Links
Forum Rules