Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > External Wireless Access Point?

External Wireless Access Point?
selowitch
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 01:57 PM

Hi,

Given all the complaints about AirPort reception on the TiBooks and AlBooks, what do folks think about the possibility of an external (Ethernet-connected) wireless access point such as the one offered by D-Link (DWL-G810, I think is the model number).

The main advantage is that you may get better reception; the disadavantage, I imagine, is that the device isn't internal and therefore not as convenient. It also may require a separate power supply, although I'm not sure of that of the top of my head.

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2003, 11:24 PM

I actually installed that model for a friend for his eMac. It didn't support Airport Extreme and he needed to connect to his parent's router and they were running windows XP. The only problem is you'll need to configure it on a PC or through virtual PC. I had problems accessing the web-based configuration tool in either Safari or IE for the mac.

Once you get it configured though, it's stable and fast and it worked well for him.

Terrance
15.2" 1.25GHz Powerbook G4
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2003, 11:40 PM

I think you have to consider how you will use this. The size of this thing make it almost impossible to carry with the PowerBook while giving you the mobility of the PowerBook.

Dimensions is 3.5"x3.2"x1.6"

If you use this on a stationary spot and reachable with a cable, why not connect to ethernet instead.

To tackle the reception issue, instead of getting the Airport Extreme Basestation, I've got the Linksys WRT-54G. It seems to give me better reception compare to my friend's AEB. I configure this router with direct connection using ethernet cable at first and afterwards, I can juse use the web-based config tools.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 09:41 AM

If you use this on a stationary spot and reachable with a cable, why not connect to ethernet instead?
That's the central issue, isn't it? You're right: it does diminish the charm of wireless a bit. Still, if you want to use wireless but don't demand maximum mobility, this might make sense.

It also might really help if your PowerBook or iBook doesn't support an AirPort Extreme card.

Forum Links
Forum Rules