Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Can't get wireless d-link to work on Mac or PC. Need Help!

Can't get wireless d-link to work on Mac or PC. Need Help!
DavideMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2003, 11:49 AM

Well I convinced my niece (or should I say my brother) to buy a 1.25 dual G4 for her film studies and told them to put an airport card in the computer just in case she wanted to put the computer in her bedroom far away from the cable modem. She did. So then I told him to purchase a d-link wireless router (extreme G) so that she would have internet access and he could eventually move around the house with his PC laptop, once he got a card for his laptop. Well, nothing works and I just don't know enough about wireless networking to help. My wired network at home between my eMac and iBook works like a charm. He's on win 98 and I can't seem to release the IP settings and renew to a 192.etc IP address from the router. He is hardwired as of right now. My niece shows what seems to be 80 to 90 percent signal strength in the menu bar but no internet access and d-link support is closed today.

Any help would be appreciated. Especially since I'm considering wireless in the not so distant future.

Hope everyone is having a good Christmas and a Happy Holiday.

DavideMac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2003, 12:48 PM

Got the Mac working thanks to the airport assistant but I'm still having problems with the win 98 laptop. Still can't get in to read the new IP address from the router. Maybe I should look into a windows network forum for this one.

John Strung
Senior User
Dec 26, 2003, 05:56 PM

Go to Start:Run and type WINIPCFG. This should give you a clue as to what is going on. Make sure in the Network Control panel that you have TCP/IP available and set to Connect Automatically (or Connect using DHCP).

Forum Links
Forum Rules