Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Microphones and external line-in question

Microphones and external line-in question
Back-to-Mac
Dec 26, 2003, 04:09 PM

Hi, I have a G3 PB (Pismo) and I was trying to record sounds using my PB hooked up to an external mic. It seems that there is a problem with my PB accepting sound via an external mic or line-in. The internal microphone works well and when I connect the external mic to a Minidisc man, the external mic works fine and I can make recordings.

This might be a dumb question (please excuse me) but apple doesn't require their own branded microphone? Surely all external microphones with a 3.5mm jack should work with my PB?
BTW, I tried a line-in from my Hi-Fi and my Mac cannot record that either but when I connect the line-in to my Minidisc, hey presto, I can record usig my MD.

Any advice most welcome here.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 06:11 PM

what exactly happens when your line in is plugged into the powerbook? quiet? noisy? nothing?

Back-to-Mac  (op)
Dec 26, 2003, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
what exactly happens when your line in is plugged into the powerbook? quiet? noisy? nothing?
Nothinn at all. The 'check signal level' does not move with the external mic setting (or line in ) but if Iswitch to the internal mic the signal level registers my voice etc. This is the case both with OSX Jag and OS9.2

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 06:56 PM

truth be told, apple did make their own mic with a special plug. plaintalk mics they were called, and the plug was 1/8" but a fraction of an inch longer. and your "line in" port, assuming it's the same as on my old lombard powerbook, is really a mic port for this obsolete, voice only mic. so what to do? i would get a griffin iMic, and just use that instead.

http://www.google.com/search?q=griff...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

i use a roland ua-30 usb audio interface, basically an imic with more inputs and passthroughs. if you want something really snazzy, the pro audio world has no upper cost limit... but for casual recording, especially for a consumer mic with a 1/8" plug, just use an iMic.

Back-to-Mac  (op)
Dec 26, 2003, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
truth be told, apple did make their own mic with a special plug. plaintalk mics they were called, and the plug was 1/8" but a fraction of an inch longer. and your "line in" port, assuming it's the same as on my old lombard powerbook, is really a mic port for this obsolete, voice only mic. so what to do? i would get a griffin iMic, and just use that instead.

http://www.google.com/search?q=griff...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

i use a roland ua-30 usb audio interface, basically an imic with more inputs and passthroughs. if you want something really snazzy, the pro audio world has no upper cost limit... but for casual recording, especially for a consumer mic with a 1/8" plug, just use an iMic.
Thanks for your helpa nd advice. An iMic it is then. gawd, why does Apple always have to be different

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by Back-to-Mac:
Thanks for your helpa nd advice. An iMic it is then. gawd, why does Apple always have to be different
well, they repented soon after the pismo, and made computers with _no_ audio inputs (how's that for compatibility? ) for several years, until the current digital audio powermac g4 and g5s.

and the plaintalk microphone did work well for what it was meant for, voice recognition. ah, the forgotten and forlorn technologies of apple: plaintalk, quickdraw gx, cyberdog/opendoc, taligent, pink, cheap mac clones...

your next question probably will be on what app to use under os x, and either see this thread, or choose from this lovely list of links:

thread on "best recording apps"

audacity, a full featured and open source audio recording app for os x

a list of shareware and freeware audio apps for os x and os 9

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2003, 07:46 PM

Keep in mind you have to get a amplifier to use a professional microphone with a Mac. A iMic will convert the larger plugged mics into your mac, but to use them you have to have amplification.

Without amplification the audio will be nearly inaudible, and not suitable for most applications.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2003, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
Keep in mind you have to get a amplifier to use a professional microphone with a Mac. A iMic will convert the larger plugged mics into your mac, but to use them you have to have amplification.

Without amplification the audio will be nearly inaudible, and not suitable for most applications.
true. but the original poster referred to the mic working fine with the (1/8", line level) input on a minidisc recorder. which suggests they are not pro mics in need of preamps, phantom power and the like.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 2, 2004, 04:21 AM

Simply put, remember that it is a Line In and not a microphone level input.

NO unpowered microphone will work -- this rules out all the non-USB mikes sold for PCs.

The simple solution is to get a microphone preamplifier, or use a powered mike.

Apple's PlainTalk mike is powered -- the extra length on the plug is power for the mike's preamplifier. (Note that no Macs introduced after Apple removed the audio input support the PlainTalk mike.)

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules