Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iChat/iSight update

iChat/iSight update
rocky2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2003, 05:44 PM

I was told yesterday by somebody who should know that there will be a new version of this software and hardware combination after 6 January permitting A/V conferencing with Windows boxes. It would be nice if Apple added SIP for audio conferencing with POTS too.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 05:50 PM

It would be even cooler if they got iChat AV to work with the next AV release of AOL.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2003, 06:15 PM

Even better would be a MSN compatible iChat.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

biscool
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2003, 07:01 PM

Even better would be a MSN compatible iChat.Even better would be a MSN compatible iChat.
Is MSN messager really that popular? No one I know uses it, everyone is using AIM or those with macs are using iChat...

enk0d
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2003, 10:38 PM

Well as forthe popularity of msn messenger it has grown somewhat but i think the raise in AIM users is mainly from the intergration with cellphones these days and also i guess people just like AIM more.
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." J.R.R Tolkien (1892-1973)

Synotic
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by biscool:
Is MSN messager really that popular? No one I know uses it, everyone is using AIM or those with macs are using iChat...
I think that MSN is the most popular in European countries.

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2003, 06:06 AM

MSN is also the biggest piece of donkey **** in the universe. The PC version is bloated to the point of insanity and the mac version sucks CPU endlessly.

Even AIM on mac has smaller windows than MSN's newest IM client. ROFL.

Back to it -- I hate the fact that iChat doesn't, hasn't, and appears to never PLAN to adhere to standards. You can't voicechat or videochat, and there's no support at all for animated buddy images (it could simply be made to only play when hovered in the buddy list -- that'd be nice)

Otherwise it's the best IM program all around. Add capability to turn on and off direct instant message MANUALLY and a way to warn people and it's perfect :drool:

Oh and one more thing. I'd love it if the ichat colors showed in AIM (because on AIM, even if your ichat bubble is red and the text is white -- the text shows as black on a white background).

That really sucks arse. Hrmm what else? Warning levels under people's names? Live timestamps? Away messages that actually work with AIM users? (where when you send an IM to an away ichat user it tells you the message)..

That would REALLY make it the best AIM client
Aloha

samson1286
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2003, 11:29 PM

Link, i agree with u on the whole away message thing. however, u might wanna try picking up icar it's a great little program that basically does exactly what u wish ichat would do. have fun.

s4iscool
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 11:50 PM

I think MSN messenger is extremely popular. If you have been on AIM for the last few years, and if your esp a MAC user, all your buddies will be AIM people. On the other hand, I have been on messenger for the last 3 years, and most of my contacts are on there. The PC Messenger is bloated, but it runs nicely, with great audio and video chat features. The customizable emoticons are fun as well.

So its really one of those things where if you grew up on one program, you are going to think its the best. I personally prefer Messenger, and this is why I dont like the Mac versions: no webcam support, no audio support, no customizable emoticons, etc.
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by rocky2:
I was told yesterday by somebody who should know that there will be a new version of this software and hardware combination after 6 January permitting A/V conferencing with Windows boxes. It would be nice if Apple added SIP for audio conferencing with POTS too.
iChat is a good beginning, but severely lacking in features. In addition to all the other wishes for next version, I would like to add that camera controls are much needed. iChat demands studio lightning just for people to be able to make out your silhouette. In iVisit and other apps, you can easily adjust brightness. In iChat, my friends only know me as Sauron, the Dark Lord, the shadow...

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 11:44 AM

MSN messanger and AIM were both once popular with my friends and co-workers... however... over the last few months MSN is on its way out :-)

I have to say good riddence to that Microsoft crap. MSN not only looks terrible, but the whole feel of it is like an annoying relative that keeps wanting to play the same game. The icons, the theme, everything. Gah. Sorry for ranting.

I would love iChat, because it is 100% better than AIM in many aspects, but the away message, lack of good profile option(s), and the fact that AIM has many other nice features... I dunno. iChat is better quality, AIM is more options. So AIM it is... for now :-)
yep.

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2003, 11:38 PM

I'd like to see iChat support AIM, MSN, ICQ, and Yahoo. I know there are programs out there that do this but I really like iChat

So come on Apple... build all of this in so I'm not forced to use other software... isnt that what you want -- my full and undivided attention as part of the mindless masses. Well maybe not masses; we've still got a ways to grow. Oh wait! What am I thinking... thats that "other" company I'm thinking of
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

Krusty
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2003, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by DigitalDNA:
I'd like to see iChat support AIM, MSN, ICQ, and Yahoo. I know there are programs out there that do this but I really like iChat
I agree ... I formerly used Fire, Proteus (loved it) and a couple other "multi-chat" clients because I have one or two friends on AIM, one on ICQ, and one who used Yahoo. ALL of them were on PCs (so it wasn't some Mac thing) and NOBODY I knew used MSN. iChat has totally won me over for interface and ease of use .. just wish it was a true multi-client.

posted by Link:
Back to it -- I hate the fact that iChat doesn't, hasn't, and appears to never PLAN to adhere to standards.
Part of the seamless voice and video abilities of iChat are based on a rendezvous-like protocol that Apple has made publicly available. At some conference or other in the past year, SJobs actually said that the "other guys" were free to implement it to make interoperability happen ... but the ball is really in their court. I'd be willing to bet that with the AOL/iTunes agreements of late with accounts and aolmusic, we'll see AOL provide voice and video interop with iChat pretty soon.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2004, 10:24 AM

Better yet, would be for apple to release iChat for windows.

They released itunes to sell more ipods, imagine the market for isights in a windows world.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2004, 02:22 PM

MSN Messenger is really popular here in the UK, much to my annoyance.

jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2004, 03:02 PM

You guys should try Adium. Version 2.0 is still in alpha, and multi protocol support (other than AIM) has just been added, but it is _by far_ the best IM client for the Mac, hands down.

http://www.adiumx.com

<edit>There's no AV support yet, but it still rocks.</edit>

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2004, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by rocky2:
I was told yesterday by somebody who should know that there will be a new version of this software and hardware combination after 6 January permitting A/V conferencing with Windows boxes.
After 6th of january eh.. well, that could be pretty much anytime from now, to oblivion and beyond.
Now then, about this person 'who should know' Go slap them.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2004, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by Freeflyer:
Better yet, would be for apple to release iChat for windows.

They released itunes to sell more ipods, imagine the market for isights in a windows world.

J.

Yes and Yes. My thoughts exactly.
It's the devil's way now.

rocky2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2004, 04:26 AM

Yep--the person who should have known obviously didn't. I will slap him for you.

And still no support for BT headsets in the audio In/Out preferences.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 04:36 AM

Originally posted by Synotic:
I think that MSN is the most popular in European countries.
true so many people use it here (France)

Forum Links
Forum Rules