Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Two Questions...

Two Questions...
blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 12:58 AM

How do i print "selected text"?

Why does (apple) - (-) work on making text smaller but (apple) - (+) doesn't make it bigger in Text Edit?

Thanks, Blackbird
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2004, 01:08 AM

How do i print "selected text"?

Go to the application menu->Services->Text Edit->New window containing selection. Then print from Text Edit.

Why does (apple) - (-) work on making text smaller but (apple) - (+) doesn't make it bigger in Text Edit?

It does for me.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 02:42 AM

1) I've done that, but there ought to be a way to just print something selected off a webpage on the fly, i know windows does.

2) i hit apple + and it doesn't do anything in Text Edit, never has. But in Safari it does work fine
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2004, 03:54 AM

Just because a command is in Windows doesn't mean it ought be there. Because something is used frequently means it ought to be there. How often do you need to print a selection anyway?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 06:19 AM

very often, i didn't mean to imply that osx was lacking, i just wished i had this feature, i can do googe searches on selected text, but i'd just like to be able to print it.

and for 2 years now when i use apple + it won't enlarge my text in textedit, but will enlarge text in safari

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 07:05 AM

1: Not perfect, but: you can drag a text selection to the desktop, then drag the resulting clipping file into the printer icon in the dock. (You can "Keep in Dock" any printer). Might be just a bit faster than using TextEdit.

It'd be quite mac- like to be able to drag a selection directly to the printer icon, I'll send a bit of feedback to http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

"Print selection" could also be added as a contextual menu item by a third party developer. Try posting this idea in the Developer Center next door and see if someone would be interested. It's absolutely worth a shot.

2: Which keyboard have you got? US, British, something else?

J

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:

Thanks, Blackbird
I have that same problem too, keyboard shortcut does nothing.

-Q-
Jan 1, 2004, 02:32 PM

It's because the keyboard shortcut you're technically pressing is 'Apple' and '=', which apparently isn't a usable key command in TextEdit. However, add 'shift' to the key command, and the text should increase.

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Jan 1, 2004, 04:59 PM

Apple is just being "technical" with the implementation in TextEdit.

To type a "Minus sign", you do not need to hit SHIFT... you just type the key. So, to shrink text, they want you to use a modifier. The command (Apple) key. so, to shrink text, you type (Apple) and (-) together.

To type a "Plus sign", you DO need to hold shift button or it would technically be the "Equals sign"... so they figured they would continue the paradigm and require a modifier in addition to the typical keys necessary to access the plus sign; hence (Apple) and (Shift) and (=) together to increase text size.

sorry if I stated the obvious.

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2004, 05:32 PM

For your info..

WebPrint Plus X
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9487

WebPrint Plus X provides an easy-to-use, unique, and powerful set of universal tools for collecting, saving, printing, and editing information with the Mac that work in virtually any program (and on the Internet), that accelerate printing, that save users money by significantly reducing their use of consumables, that let users select and save or print anything from a single character to multiple pages, and that greatly improve users' productivity when using their Macs.

I couldn't open this app though... I got an error message ... hopefully he'll work it out.

You'll love these too ..

PDF Browser Plug In
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9542
The PDF Browser Plugin allows web browsers to display PDF documents.
Instantaneous viewing .. no more waiting for Acrobat to load.

iClip
http://inventive.us/iClip/
With iClip, you quickly store, organize and access bits of information that just aren't practical to save as entire documents. It allows you to quickly copy & paste and drag & drop clippings to and from its multiple "clipping bins" so that you can easily access them in the applications you're using. The clippings can be of various types such as text, pictures, Internet locations, sounds, and more. Clippings can be organized into unlimited groups called "clipping sets" to help you keep all of your clippings neatly arranged. Since the Scrapbook application that was in older Mac OS versions isn�t a part of Mac OS X, iClip can conveniently serve as a replacement for it. You stay focused on the tasks you're accomplishing while saving time and streamlining your workflow.
( Last edited by bergy; Jan 1, 2004 at 05:45 PM. )
Tiger 10.4.8

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2004, 05:35 PM

Thanks, Lightwaver! I'd been using the Sh-Apple+ for text size increase, but never thought what the shift wasn't needed for DEcreasing text size.

Thanks for the non-obvious!
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2004, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by bergy:
For your info..
PDF Browser Plug In
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9542
The PDF Browser Plugin allows web browsers to display PDF documents.
Instantaneous viewing .. no more waiting for Acrobat to load.
And, while you're at it ... the same guy has recently released Word Browser Plugin that allows your to view .doc files in your browser. Only works in 10.3 though.

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 06:54 AM

Thanks.

movabi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2004, 03:21 PM

In the services, I don't have the option of text edit? How do i get it there? Does this work in safari?

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 09:15 PM

Safari > Services > TextEdit > ...

That's how it is when I'm running Safari.

unimaxium
Jan 4, 2004, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:
because you're hitting apple-[equals sign], which does nothing. Use the shift key.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2004, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
Just because a command is in Windows doesn't mean it ought be there. Because something is used frequently means it ought to be there. How often do you need to print a selection anyway?
All the time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules