Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Shock and fuzzy screen?

Shock and fuzzy screen?
macbuddha1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2004, 12:08 AM

Anyone ever seen anything like this...

I was using iPhoto and installing a new printer to my iBook G4/800. I got up to make a snack, came back and when I touched the computer, there was a small static discharge from my finger. Instantly, my screen turned into a mess of scrolling horizontal fuzz and was unusable. I did a force restart, and then had to hold down the power button to finally get it to start up.

It seems to be working fine now, (I am typing this on it) but I am worried... should I be? Anyone ever see this before?
All Mac since 1987.
www.mactechedu.com

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2004, 02:32 PM

what part of the printer installation process were you on? did you disconnect the power from printer? haha what kind of a snack were you making?

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2004, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by cold aspiration:
what part of the printer installation process were you on? did you disconnect the power from printer? haha what kind of a snack were you making?
I have often noticed an unusally high frequency of KPs when making pop corn. Should I shut down the iBook before going to the kitchen to make snacks?

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2004, 08:34 PM

Really, ham sandwiches seem to be a problem with me. Seriously though, what part of the computer did you touch when the static discharge happened?
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

macbuddha1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2004, 11:35 PM

I touched the left palmrest, and ZAP! Printer installation had actually just finished up, on a Canon i960. Very nice printer, by the way. And for you snack-heads out there, it was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, also very nice!
All Mac since 1987.
www.mactechedu.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules