Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Can we have a complain about America forum?

Can we have a complain about America forum? (Page 2)
jaiqua
Jan 8, 2004, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by benb:
Still? Got any recent, say within the past 20 years, cartoons, movies, or toys to back that up?

Have you ever seen any old westerns anyway? Most were not Cowboy vs. Indians.
Bad phrasing on my part. Just go back 30 years, 40, 50, 60, and so on; you'll find the stereotypical Native American being portrayed in movies, right up until the 70's.
The difference between the US, adn say other nations who massacred their indigenous population, is that the genocide happened in a completely different century, but the complete dehumanisation of the Indian was created well after the fact, in a new century. One of the strong blocks of the American film industry, was the portrayal of the Indians as the lesser people, it was so wide-spread that that view is still ingrained in many folks.

Imagine if the Germans were to start producing films, now, 50 odd years after the second worlds war, of Jews being gassed; how about the British doing the same. In fact, those nations pretty much stopped such portrayals after the realisation of the horror. Again, this is a nation that had enslaved the African American into a second class citizen well into the 60's.

P.s. Go into any toy shop, I'm sure you'll find many a cowboy and Indian figure set, all based on that same root that started last century.
the navajo know

historylme
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 05:24 PM

I stopped reading this thread, but in keeping with unimformed American way of being, I will state for the record.....

I like Europe a lot more than the "freedoms" here in the States. Everything here is taboo and sexualised to the Nth degree.

Let's see some tits and not a make a big deal about it, let's say ****ing words on tv and not be so ****ing prudish.

I would moved to Europe if I could, not because it's better, but because it is not as restrictive as the U.S.

Espa�a seria bien, ou la france, pour dir que les etats uni c'est la vashe!

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 8, 2004, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by vcutag:
"In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up." -Martin Niemoller
That was lame.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 8, 2004, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by jaiqua:
Yeah, but it only in America do they have a film and toy industry still glorifying a past genocide.
It glorifies past genocides?

That has to be some of the worst PC crap I have heard in a few months.

How long did it take you to be offended?

Down in milliseconds plz.

thnx

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2004, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by vcutag:
"In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up." -Martin Niemoller
GREAT quote! for those who don't know who Martin Niemoller was, click here.
( Last edited by gerbnl; Jan 8, 2004 at 10:39 PM. )
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

ambush
Banned
Jan 8, 2004, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
Most people who complain about The United States of American are mostly jealous of what we have. The freedoms and opportunities that are offer to us here. Simple jealousy.
Yeeeeesssshhh

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2004, 10:50 PM

America might suck, but we are the better at it than anyone else!

U-S-A
U-S-A
U-S-A

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ambush
Banned
Jan 8, 2004, 10:50 PM

USA...

the only country we're you'll...

see idiots sue their cableco because they're addicted to TV..

where you'll see dumbasses sue McDonald's because they sell food that's bad for health

where there are so many obese/fat people

where terrorism is a threath calculated with a colour system

have to pay big tax bucks for war

etc.

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 10:12 AM

Translated quote:

Originally posted by ambush:
USA...

the only country we're you'll...

Canadian News: see idiots sue their cableco because they're addicted to TV..

Canadian News: where you'll see dumbasses sue McDonald's because they sell food that's bad for health

Canadian News: where there are so many obese/fat people

Canadian News: where terrorism is a threath calculated with a colour system

Canadian News: have to pay big tax bucks for war

etc.
Like I said before.... media
Now I'd pick up a Canadian newspaper and watch a News network that reports on Canada all the time and pick out your flaws but I can't. Your country is not that populor as this one all around the world

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 9, 2004, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
where there are so many obese/fat people
Actually Europe is catching up, and the US isn't the fatest nation.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2004, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Actually Europe is catching up, and the US isn't the fatest nation.
Zimph is partly correct here.

IIRC, New Zealand is the fattest nation.

"Europe" as a whole catching up isn't quite right. The UK and Germany are fast catching the US as blubber friendly countries but southern Europe isn't too bad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules