Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod Replacement... What to expect?

iPod Replacement... What to expect?
spatterson
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 09:40 PM

What should I expect when Apple Care sends you a box to send your iPod in, you mail it off, and when they recieve it they send you a new one? Am I getting a iPod out of the box?

So today I called up Apple Care to give them my story on why my iPod is going kaput. They explained to me that they couldn�t help me because I needed to purchase Apple Care first before they spoke to me about my issue. He first listened to me and then told me if I purchased Apple Care then most likely they would send me a new iPod. I thought to myself would it be worth spending 50 bucks on service that would replace my iPod. I told him go ahead, and he told me that he would send me a box to put my iPod in, and then they would send me a new unit. Now I�m guessing that he was being friendly and advising me that if I put forward the 50 bucks then he would give me a new iPod.

So this left me thinking� Was it worth it, the 50 bucks?

Well I hope so, if I get a unit back that has the same serial number then obviously not.

spatterson  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 09:43 PM

Blanchard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2004, 06:41 PM

AppleCare service was good to me.

The scroll wheel didn't respond anymore on my 3g 20gig iPod. Called Apple. They told me that I was in the 90 day Apple Care warranty. They sent me to an url where I ordered a repair box.

I sent the defective ipod monday via Purolator, and I received today (friday) my brand new ipod.

Didn't cost me a cent.

I'm very impressed. This is service. 5 days all in all, brand new ipod! Thanks Apple.

Blanchard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2004, 06:42 PM

Oh, and you can track your repair status via Apple website.

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2004, 06:54 PM

Based on my experience, I would say you will almost certainly receive a new iPod. Mine was not holding a charge -- at all -- and my warranty was about a week from expiring.

After some talk with the service guy, he agreed that they should repair it, and they shipped me a box. I received it on a Tuesday, shipped it back, and got a replacement (different iPod, different serial number) via courier on Thursday.

Pretty clearly, they're not sitting around running diagnostics on these things, once they agree to accept it for repair. (At least in my experience.)

spatterson  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2004, 09:27 PM

Yeah, thats basically what I expected. Now when I go to the apple website and enter in my case no. I cannot view details... so hopefully the box will arrive soon.

My iPod cannot hold a charge anymore... I miss it when I go and work out

Forum Links
Forum Rules