Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Share internet connection with Mac and PC

Share internet connection with Mac and PC
meerteen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2004, 11:15 PM

Current set up: PC laptop with XP; Dlink 614+ Router with Dlink PC Card Adapter. I am able to establish a wireless connection to internet. All I want is to share internet connection at this point between the PC/MAC using the router and the two cards.

Current Mac setup: Mac G4 Cube with 10.1.5. I have installed an Airport card and I have the latest airport software.
Airport status icon is grayed out. When turning the Airport card on the airport status icon is grayed out. The computer recognize the Airport card when I installed it. I also tried reinstalling the card. No network connection. No internet. I tried to establish a wired connection using a ethernet cable to the router, still unable to connect.

I have no idea how to configure the network preferences to establish a wired or wireless connection.
Do I use location: automatic or isp?
Do I use show: Built in Ethernet or Airport?
Do I use configure: manually DCHP Router, or using DCHP?
Is there a problem with Airport card?

Can someone provide me with step by step instructions or point me to a link or a good source?
Dlink support: friendly but useless.
Apple support: ditto.

Many thanks.

John Strung
Senior User
Jan 11, 2004, 01:41 PM

These instructions for connecting an Airport card to a LinkSys router should work for you with the appropriate modifications for you Netgear:

http://www.ibookzone.com/linksys.shtml

(I think your DLink router uses IP addresses in the 192.168.0.x range, whereas the LinkSys uses 192.168.1.x, so if that is the case, change all the IP addresses in the Link to the 192.168.0.x range.)

meerteen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2004, 08:39 PM

Thanks John.

I just needed to start the process all over. Once this was done, I was able to establish a wired connection and then my network preferences wireless setup.

I now have a wireless internet connection for the PC and the Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules