Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I'm so scared and confused... :)

View Poll Results: Should I buy the G4 PB, or wait for the G5 PB?
Poll Options:
Buy the G4 PB 43 votes (82.69%)
Wait for a G5 PB 9 votes (17.31%)
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll
I'm so scared and confused... :)
daload
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2004, 10:24 AM

Ok so heres the deal, I've finally saved up enough for a PB G4, and I can't wait to get it.

The trouble is my stomach is bothering me because I keep hearing all these futurists predicting the eventual outbreak or G5 PB's all across the world.

Please help convince me that I should just go and buy this PB before the end of January.
I might even get it on Friday (16th) -MY BIRTHDAY (Go Nineteen!)

Thanks All.

p.s.
And for some reason I have posted a poll asking you whether I should buy it this month or not.
Thanks.
\
ASCII (Because its simple)

Hamburglar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2004, 11:03 AM

I waited for about a month or two until MW, just figuring that if I didn't I'd be silly. Well my PB shipped this morning and I couldn't be more psyched.

This topic is brought up at least bi-weekly - no one knows what's coming next, so if you need it buy it (or if you want it so bad you can taste it - AND afford it).

vinster
Senior User
Jan 12, 2004, 11:09 AM

I'm currently in the same situation. I have a G4-upgraded Pismo and I really want to get the 15". As I've already got a computer, I'm thinking about waiting until either the next revision or ultimately holding out for a G5-based PowerBook. However, I'm having a really hard time being patient and may just go ahead and get a new PowerBook straight away.

I would say if you're going to buy this month, then place an order ASAP.

Originally posted by daload:
Ok so heres the deal, I've finally saved up enough for a PB G4, and I can't wait to get it.

The trouble is my stomach is bothering me because I keep hearing all these futurists predicting the eventual outbreak or G5 PB's all across the world.

Please help convince me that I should just go and buy this PB before the end of January.

Thanks All.

p.s.
And for some reason I have posted a poll asking you whether I should buy it this month or not.
Thanks.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Hamburglar:
This topic is brought up at least bi-weekly - no one knows what's coming next, so if you need it buy it (or if you want it so bad you can taste it - AND afford it).
Exactly. Like others, I waited til MacWorld, but no updated PowerBooks, so last Thurs. Jan. 8, 2004 I walked into the Apple Store in Dallas and walked out with the 15" Al SuperDrive. The truth is that newer models WILL come out. There will always be faster, better models. That's technology for ya. The latest and greatest things today will be obsolete next month. I say if it's stressing you out and you're that anxious, get it. If you live near an Apple Store, get it in person. The Apple retail store offers Education discount too, including discount on AppleCare. Good luck and happy shopping.

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2004, 12:18 PM

I wouldn't count on G5 PowerBooks until the 04-05 school year starts after this summer *at the earliest*. If you can't wait *at least* that long, get the G4, they're awesome.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2004, 12:28 PM

Like I continue to say. If you can't wait just get it. If you wait you may keep waiting til the next one and the next one then you may never jump in and get one. The G4 Powerbooks are Awesome. I wouldn't wait for the G5 Powerbook since you would still want to wait til at least RevB to get one. Just your computer now then when the G5 comes out sell yours and get the G5
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

banditcosmo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2004, 12:36 PM

I just got my first Mac (pb 17" 1.33) and I don't regret buying it now. The way I figure it is I can always sell this one when the new ones come out. Mac's really seem to hold their value as opposed to Window notebooks. I may loose $500 or so but I also have a pb that I will be using until the new ones come out. Plus from what I hear your'e better off not buying the first revision notebooks so it could be a while before I'd be upgrading.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jan 12, 2004, 02:47 PM

Here's another option for you. You could get an iBook G4 and continue to save the money you don't spend. Then when the G5s do come out, you'll be able to hold yourself off until a rev B comes, if you're concerned about that stuff. Keep in mind though, that the white spots problem appeared in some 17" PBs, which were rev B at the time (I could be mistaken, it was mostly a 15" problem). Following this logic, you would have to wait until rev *C* before you can safely buy without problems.

Personally, I've bought two rev A PBs from Apple (original Ti 400MHz and the 17" 1GHz) and have been extremely satisfied with both. I honestly think that 75% of the fears people have for rev A products can be linked back to a very limited number of people (less than 10% of those who bought the model in question) complaining very loudly in these forums and others. I'm not saying that those who have had problems don't have a right to complain, just that everyone else needs to keep in mind that people who don't have problems usually don't post anything worth reading.

As for whether you should go for it or not, if I didn't already have my 17" I would go for it myself. The current laptops will certainly meet all of your needs (except maybe playing games that come out a year from now).

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2004, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by banditcosmo:
I just got my first Mac (pb 17" 1.33) and I don't regret buying it now. The way I figure it is I can always sell this one when the new ones come out. Mac's really seem to hold their value as opposed to Window notebooks. I may loose $500 or so but I also have a pb that I will be using until the new ones come out. Plus from what I hear your'e better off not buying the first revision notebooks so it could be a while before I'd be upgrading.
Same here. I am very happy with my purchase (especially since it was educational). I will not buy the first revision powerbook G5, but if the second revision comes out, and it offers significant improvements over my current PB G4, then I may upgrade. I figure I may end up losing barely any money because it was purchased educationally. I figure if i sell it within 1-1.5 years, I would maybe lose 1-200 dollars. (retail was 3400 on mine, and I paid 3000)

Also, to the original poster: I think the earliest you can expect to see Rev A G5 PB is the beginning of the 04-05 school year. I also don't foresee more than one speed bump on the PB G4's until them (17 to 1.42, 15 to 1.33, etc...).
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

ingeniero
Jan 12, 2004, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by daload:

Thanks All.

p.s.
Thanks.
wait another month or so for a PB G4 speedbump (rev B), then when Rev B G5 comes, sell the G4 and buy the Rev B G5. You won't be dissapointed. That's my plan.

Hamburglar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2004, 11:50 AM

Well, I just got my 15" SuperDrive in...I don't care if the G5 comes out tomorrow, I won't be sorry - really. This machine is just so fantastic and I've barely turned it on and set it up. I'll wait until I get home for my 802.11g connection, but charge it up in the meantime.

Also, even with Apple's free shipping, the machine took 48 hrs. at most to get here which I was pretty shocked about, considering it came from Taiwan. Damn, I ordered the inner ear phones at the same time, and they're somewhere in FedEx purgatory.

Anyways - woohoo - what a day!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2004, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by Hamburglar:
Well, I just got my 15" SuperDrive in...I don't care if the G5 comes out tomorrow, I won't be sorry - really. This machine is just so fantastic and I've barely turned it on and set it up. I'll wait until I get home for my 802.11g connection, but charge it up in the meantime.

Also, even with Apple's free shipping, the machine took 48 hrs. at most to get here which I was pretty shocked about, considering it came from Taiwan. Damn, I ordered the inner ear phones at the same time, and they're somewhere in FedEx purgatory.

Anyways - woohoo - what a day!
Congrats on your purchase!!!

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2004, 03:53 PM

I'm sick and tired of all these threads. "Should I get a Powerbook now or wait??" People are ALWAYS afraid of buying a computer now only to have a new upgraded one come out soon after.

Consider this: if you wait and but a G5 Powerbook, the exact same argument will apply! If you but a G5 Powerbook revision A, then you'll start worrying, "why didn't I wait for the revision B?" This can go on [i]ad naseum[i].

If you need the computer now, BUT IT NOW. If you don't NEED it for something (school, work, something imperative), and you have a computer already...WAIT. But prepared for going through the same thing when you finally do get your Powerbook, because there will ALWAYS be a newer and faster one just around the corner!!
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

daload  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2004, 04:31 PM

Thanks Bastard.

... BUT IT NOW. If you don't NEED it for something (school, work, something imperative), and you have a computer already...WAIT. But prepared for going through the same thing when you finally do get your Powerbook, because there will ALWAYS be a newer and faster one just around the corner!!
Ill be sure too keep that in mind. MY question was: Should I wait for the G4. Not to hear you try and disciplne me for asking an oppinion. Stop reading the threads and go discipline your mom next time.

Thanks for the advice and I hope you voted.
\
ASCII (Because its simple)

Tantrum
Jan 13, 2004, 11:13 PM

I say, buy the G4 right now...i was in the same dilemma....and i don't regret buying my 15al at all...except for the fact that i can't excatly do my homework on this comp since all 3 printers in my house aren't compatible with it.
Powerbook Al 15"/1.25 GHZ/60 GB/512 MB/Airport/Bluetooth/Combo w/ 10.3
iPod 20 GB

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by Tantrum:
I say, buy the G4 right now...i was in the same dilemma....and i don't regret buying my 15al at all...except for the fact that i can't excatly do my homework on this comp since all 3 printers in my house aren't compatible with it.
What printers are they?

Forum Links
Forum Rules